do they lose their top or bottom teeth first?

my son just turned 5 and he has his first loose tooth. it is the front one on the top and i am worried bc it is capped. i have read that they usually lose their bottom ones first and that they are usually 6 or 7 before their first loose one! Help Please!

gottalovemyboys

Asked by gottalovemyboys at 11:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I thought bottom,or at least my girls did.May it was where that tooth had been bad ,and was capped.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i lost my top 2 teeth first
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My son lost a bottom tooth first, then the next tooth was a top. But my mom and all her sisters and brothers lost top teeth first. I think it just depends on the kid. Although I did read something once that claims it is a first tooth in, first tooth out thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Each child is different my gs lost all four within one weeks time both top and bottoms...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son was born with a cleft lip so his dental needs are unique but he did lose his bottoms first at age 5. I wouldn't worry about it. It is just the way her teeth are growing the dentist will let you know if there is a concern.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It depends on which came in first..for my son it was the two bottom...and now the top are loose.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Both of my kids lost bottoms first. They were late "losers" though. Daughter was 7 and son just now at 6 1/2. The first in, first out theory I had heard when my daughter was born and I kept track of her teeth to see if it was truth (I'm just kinda crazy like that). So far, it's proven correct in her case.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My daughter lost her first tooth at 5 & it was a bottom one I think. It depends on the kid though. I thought 5 was early but after speaking to some friends with older kids, they said that it was about right. Also, it was about half & half on which ones lost top teeth or bottom teeth first.
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 12:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I lost my bottoms first but I started loosing them when I had just turned 5. My nephews lost their bottoms first too, my 7y/o just lost his first 2, he is 7. I think it depends on the kid which ones they lose when.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Bottoms are usually first, but it can be any tooth. 5 is not too young - I was 7 but my kids were all 5. Caps may be harder to get to fall out (*they were for my little brother). We really had to work on those caps.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009