Skunk bite

I have 3 Siberian Huskies that just lost a fight with a skunk about an hour ago... one of them was bitten on the face by the skunk. All 3 of them are up to date on their rabies shots, does anyone think this is cause for concern? Should we get him vaccinated again right away just in case?

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't worry about rabies since he's up to date on his vacs. But I would watch it very closely for infection. In fact, I might call the vet to see if they want you to bring him in for an evaluation. Bites like that can look minor but end up being very severe. I almost lost my cat to a raccoon bite that got super infected, and it cost me a small fortune to save him because I didn't do anything about it until he got noticably sick (I didn't know any better).
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would definitely take the dog to the vet to get the wound looked at. Not something to mess around with....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would take the dogs to the vet but also remember your safety and your families the saliva from the skunk could be on the dogs face and coat so use caution when handling the dog any small cuts on you could come in contact !!
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Take him to the vet to get cleaned up and checked against infection. I agree with the above poster to be careful of skunk saliva.

Answer by Bmat at 2:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Great answers, and the saliva does count. A friend of mine and her family had to go through rabies shots due to exposure to a rabid animal's saliva.
    Anonymous