Baby with eczema.. we're moving to the desert... help!

I'm going to be moving to the 29 palms area in southern California which is out in the desert (ie:/ dirt, rocks, and cactus and up to 120 degree dry heat).. My son has bad eczema and I was wondering if it will get better or worse out there.. I currently live in northern Illinois where the weather is generally humid and the temp changes about everyday...

I use Eucerin Original Cream for his skin now. What should I do out there to make sure his skin is extra protected (he's 6months now and will be about a year old when we move.. I know sunscreen is a big duh lol)

Thanks :)

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I live in colorado, we use california baby's calendula lotion, on ds's skin, doc also recomended aquaphor for dry patches.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• When we were stationed at Ft. Irwin (the desert) my kids never had problems with eczema. When we moved to Ft. Rucker, Al where it was really humid my youngest had it really bad. Then when we moved to Korea my youngest was fine and my oldest got it really bad. I think it will probably get better living in the desert. If it does get worse use Aquaphor (that stuff works wonders).
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 12:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had eczema all my life. When I moved to the desert, it got better. I personally think it has something to do with the water because when I was 13, I stayed at my dad's in Colorado and my eczema was back the WHOLE summer. For me, stress is a factor too. I have found Cetiphil to work the BEST with my eczema. I recommend finding locally raised honey. This can help your child become immune to the natural allergens in the area. Of course...wait until he is 1 year old. Good luck!!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• hello, does your child drink soy milk of any kind? Once a pediatrician informed me that soy products will bring on skin problems, one such as eczema. Also, try rubbing some raw virgin coconut oil on the skin--rubbing it into the skin very well for a few days, especially after a bath. It has really helped my own problem with eczema. Hope this helps :)
    ThatMomChar

Answer by ThatMomChar at 1:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Vaseline. And I've been told that UV rays HELP eczema. So when we go out in the sun, I let my DD play for 20-30 mins in the sun and then apply sunscreen. If it's very bad, you might need an RX steroid ointment.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think it will get worse. I was at the derm's for my DD last Thursday and he said living in dry climates will only make it worse. He recommeded the Cetaphil like the PP mentioned. And he also stressed that eczema is NOT a food allergy, and that sunshine does HELP it get better. I had never heard of the honey thing, my DD is three so I may try that.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 10:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Although eczema is NOT an allergy, allergies can trigger eczema.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i give my lil one a bath every night and put baby lotion on her with a little baby oil every night,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i never knew that the soy formula could cause skin problems, my Dr never mentioned that, wow, i must ask him about that because Calvin has it bad sometimes and hes on a soy formula....although his eczema never showed up until winter here, so i don't really know.
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 4:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2009