Can the US military help with the Mexican drug cartels?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/01/gates-military-help-mexico-drug-fight/

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, if the violence is already starting to spill over into the US, then yes I think they should. But I also think they need to put more effort into this side of the border.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Do you mean should instead of could? I mean they'll do whatever they want. I think it's more important to stop the trafficking of drugs and weapons on our side of the border, but as long as they aren't taking sailors from WA, I have no vested interest.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well I have an interest in two ways: 1) My family all lives in Texas, not more that 3 hours from the Mexican border in some places. 2) My husband is military. Yes I do mean should lol! Wrong phrasing. There has already been spillover violence due to the Mexican drug wars, and I think we will end up having to do something about it but I was just trying to get opinions of others on here who maybe do not have such a bias one way or the other.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Why are they hiring? Why should we send our boys to fight drug crime in another country? I'm sorry, why are they not fighting this themselves???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Anon, they are trying, but this is a massive drug war. It's spilling over into our country, too.

FROM AN ARTICLE TODAY:

Mexican traffickers have always been violent, but the death toll has soared since President Felipe Calderon took office in late 2006 and sent tens of thousands of troops to fight the country's powerful cocaine cartels.

Soldiers have fought pitched battles with drug gangs in several Mexican towns and overwhelmed police officers have fled municipal forces the length of the border. In many cases, police officers have been paid off by the drug gangs or even joined them.

"The fight in Mexico is about domination of the smuggling corridors and those corridors don't stop at the border," Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090301/ts_nm/us_usa_mexico_drugs
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think the Colombians should take back the drug trade to this country. Mexico has messed it ALL up with their tar heroin and cheap cocaine/weed and they need to go back to making beer with lime in it instead of trying to play ball with the big boys.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009