My 5 week olds poop!...HeLp....

My son has had a hard time pooping for the last couple of days and it hurts him when he poops but it has been normal baby poop (kind of runny) he didn't poop yesterday, it was later today that he finally did but it was hard/mushy it wasn't runny like normal and hurt him really bad. i don't know if this would have anything to do with it but We have him on zantac and pervacid. We just recently started giving him cholic tablets every once in a while. I also just recently started supplementing with Enfamil so i give him about 1-2 oz of formal and breast feed him each feeding. Is this normal? because i heard babies should never have hard poop this young.

MoMmYtObEtO1

Asked by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is there a reason for the supplementing? Formula is very harsh on an infants stomach, especially a breastfed infant, so that could definitely be the cause of it. I know that my sister's baby and friends baby had very hard stools once they introduced formula into their child's diet.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's the formula. My son had the same problem when we began to transition him from breastmilk to formula. Unfortunately, it's just one of the side effects of feeding formula. It's not the acid reflux meds - my son took both of those when he was less than 3 months old, too, and they didn't cause the constipation. You should speak to your pediatrician about how to ease the pain of constipation. My ped told me to mix just a bit of prune juice into his formula bottle, but please do this under the advice of a doctor since your baby is so young.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Formula poops are usually kind of formed and mushy not runny. So maybe if your giving him formula thats why. My daughter eats both and doesnt have extremely runny poop. If your worried I would call your pedi.
    AudreysMommy798

Answer by AudreysMommy798 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• we have been supplementing because it seemed like i never had enough milk for him. I really wish we didn't have to do that but my milk supply just doesn't seem to be enough for him
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• How long will it hurt him? everytime he needs to poop he just screams.
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It hurt my son for about a week, until he got more used to it. I gave him the prune juice, as his ped advised, for only a few days because, as the doctor said, he'd have to get used to it without prune juice anyway. However, my son was about 14 weeks before we gave him any formula.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If he's wetting around 6 diaps a day, your supply is fine. Would you be willing to work on supply issues first or do you want to continue to supplement?

*if* you really feel it's a supply issue. Nurse more often, and pump in between feedings. Drink lots of fluids, eat oatmeal (cookies count), and even get fenugreek or mother's milk tea.

This could last anywhere from a couple weeks to over a month, depending on the baby. You can get some Gripe Water to help with discomfort if you want. (I used it on my DD who had a food sensitivity and it helped a lot-- i nursed)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie on this. I didn't want to put my son on formula, but I had to. I was prescribed meds for PPD and I didn't want them in my breastmilk. If you don't have to give him formula, don't. Remember that with every growth spurt your baby will act like it's never enough milk, but your body will adjust and produce more milk as he feeds. Just keep him on your boob and you'll be able to provide what he needs.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• ok you will hear some crazy things but my son did the same i breastfeed and supplemented to help fill him up. so try not to give him anything like gas drops before trying a 1/2 oz of prune juice in with 3 oz of formula. try to do it natural at first then if that doesn't work give a .3mL of gas drops they are ok for newborns. prune juice should work best and it is better to use fruit then medications (they can really mess a kid up). i really hope it helps! let me know it you need anything else!!!
    Kyle_wify

Answer by Kyle_wify at 1:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Gas drops will not ease constipation...all they do is reduce the amount of gas produced in baby's tummy.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009