Would you give permission for a tattoo?

Would you give your soon to be 17 year old (in 3 weeks) permission to get a tattoo?
Why? Why Not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would because i got my first tat at 16. they are not asbad as some think.as long as it isn't anything gang related or a pic of some naked character or anything. i dont see a problem in it.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 1:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No, I would not give permission to a 17 year old. I would say that as long as he/she is legally considered a child, that he/she cannot have a tatoo. Once your child can take responsibility for him/herself, then it's fine. I personally would not allow my son to get a tatoo as long as he was living under my roof with me paying for all of his expenses. If he got a job and started to pay for certain things, like insurance, gas, etc., then I would tell him that as long as it was in his budget and didn't interfere with this job, he could do it.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would and did. My 17 year old is finishing school in a few months and is going into the Marines.
    He just got his first tattoo. It's a very well done cross on his back. Hell, he's fixing to be a US Marine. Like I can tell him no? BUT, he had to have my permission and I had to ok the design (rules of the tattoo business. I would only OK a few designs.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Nope. Why? Because there are very few *coming of age* type moments in life. Going into a tattoo parlor, getting a tattoo, without parental permission is one of those moments that should be treasured, not made meaningless by getting parents to sign a waiver!

I am glad I waited to get my first tattoo on my 18th birthday and my children will have to do the same.

DH and I have discussed this and we wont sign for tattoos at all. Piercings, it depends on where, but not tattoos.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would and have. My son got his first tattoo at 17, my husband did it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would -- as long as I like the tat, no names or gang colors or anything like that but I don't see a problem with Tattoos... I have 5 myself. I would however, make them pay for their own :)
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 7:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes...but they have to wait 4-6 months. If, after the wait my 16 or 17 year old still wants this tattoo, then I will give my permission. I just want them to have a chance to think about it before getting it.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yea, I would, i dont have a problem with it as long as theirs nothing bad on that tattoo. But in IL you have to be 18 no matter what.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No way! Been around too many ppl that wish they hadnt. My rule of thumb is same as my moms was " when you are 18 and out of my house you can tattoo eyes on the back of your head but not on my watch". Not only does it prolong the time for him possibly change his mind, but it doesnt put it on you if later he does change his mind. Then he's gonna say "I was only 17 why did you let me do that?"
    cksem

Answer by cksem at 7:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My husband and I were talking about this just the other day. Hubby has a number of them and plans on more, I've always wanted one but never got around to getting one. We both agree, not before 18.

Basically because we were idiots at 18. Well maybe not idiots but definitely not the same people we are today. If we had gotten tattoos at a young age I shudder to think what we'd be walking around with right now lol.

As it stands hubby want's 3 of his covered up with something else. At 18 they can do what they want after high school. It is their body after all and at 18 all consequences to it are yours I guess.

Piercings though, we're good with 15/16 other than ears, just because you can always take them out :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009