Lost my plug....should i go to the hospital now or wait

i have been up for 2 days now having contractions. I was due anywhere from the 27 of feb to 1 of march. i have an appointment at the hospital at 6:30 am to induce. I just went to the bathroom and noticed i just lost my plug. My contractions are about 8 mins apart and have been like that for about 4 hours and its just now starting to hurt really bad.....so do i go to the hospital now or wait a little longer until i cant stand the pain

cobysmom151

Asked by cobysmom151 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Normally plug loss does not indicate a need to go to the hospital. However, since your contractions have been 8 min apart for so long and are hurting, I would head on over to the hospital. Some doctor's offices require that you call the on-call number first to let them know you're heading in. If you do that, perhaps you can run it by your doctor? You can also call the L&D floor at the hospital for advice.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• and congrats!!
    NovemberLove

• *I* wouldn't head to the hospital, nor would I allow them to induce me considering your body is already doing what it needs to prepare for labor.. there is no need to get fake hormones injected into you, when your body is working so hard by itself.

I also wouldn't go to the hospital unless my contrax were 4-5 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour. But that's also just me.

Plug is no indication of labor though, the fact that you are having painful contractions is a sign of labor.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Why are they inducing you when you just turned 40 weeks? I turned 40 weeks on the 27th and have no induction set! However if this is your first pregnancy contractions every 3-5 minutes, second ( or more) 5-7 minutes apart, lasting 30=60 seconds, staying at that rate for 1 hr. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Your body is doing its job..the mucus plug itself is not an indication of labor starting. I wouldnt go in yet, i would wait for the contractions to come 5 minutes apart, for at least an hour and they should last at least a minute.
    You don't need to be induced..your body is doing the job!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Take a warm bath. I did with my last one when I was in labor. I was only in there like 45min and my contractions was 5-6min when I got in and 1-2 min apart when I got out. When I was getting out, my water broke then. I also had light pink stuff comming out in the water I guess which was part of the labor. It helped me with the pain some too. They sent me home when I went earlier that day, I was mad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2009