Sleeping through the night at 7 1/2 months!

My daughter has never slept through the night. She is now 7 1/2 months and still gets up twice a night. She is on formula, so I normally just give her a bottle and she goes right back to sleep during the middle of the night. Any ideas on how to get her to not wake up????

Thanks so much!

MaddysMommy788

Asked by MaddysMommy788 at 3:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter still hasn't either and she's the same age!I thought I was the only one with this problem!!
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• wow, if she's only waking up once consider yourself lucky. It's very common for the baby to NOT sleep through the night until 1 year old or older. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Deffinalty feel luck once or twice is amazing atleast i think it is, My DS(6months) is getting up anywhere from 4 to 16 times a night and im not exaggerating!
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 4:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I will never understand why people think they can MAKE a kid sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• She'll sleep all night when she's ready. I don't even sleep through the night. Do you?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think it's normal to wake. My son is the same age and doesn't sleep through the night either. He gets up 1-2 times to eat... and sometimes wakes more just because. I think as long as they eat and go back to sleep it's fine. It's a bigger problem if they think it's play time when they wake.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• OMG my 7 month old thinks 3 am is a fine time to get up and play... he did it again last night (he used to just lay there and talk to his hands for an hour) and when I went to his room and looked in on him, he's laying there with a big dopey grin on his face, holding his arms up. I said "I don't think so, Wiggles" and I went back to bed. He bitched at his feet for a half hour, rolled over, and went back to sleep.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well, unlike all of you, my daughter has slept through the night since 2 mo. At 7 1/2 mo., she is physically capable of going longer in between feedings and doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night. However, if you eat at the same time every day, hunger naturally comes to call at that time every day. Try gradually increasing her daytime calorie intake (an extra bottle or more ounces in her current bottles) and decreasing the amount she gets at night. (If you give her 8 oz at 2am, try giving her 7 for a couple of nights, then 6, then 5 and so on) She might get used to getting a little less in the middle of the night and eventually she might not wake up at all hungry. Also, make sure she is getting something with protein and fat at dinner (if you've introduced such thing)...i.e. Avocado, chicken, cheese, yogurt, etc. It will help keep her satisfied longer. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think its normal for them to wake up. I dont have that issue so I really don't know what to tell you. My daughter has slept thru the night since she was 2 months. You might be able to wean her off the nighttime bottle and just let her play for a little bit. If she's REALLY hungry, she'll let you know, but if you run in with a bottle at her slightest peep she's never going to learn that she has to stay in bed and sleep at nighttime. If she's inconsolable then you can always go in and comfort her, but try to avoid feeding her. She'll learn that nighttime is for sleeping. She might stay up and play in her crib for a little bit, but when she gets bored she'll whine a little and go back to sleep!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• At 8 months, I started giving my daughter water in that bottle at night. I knew she didn't need the food, she just wanted to suck to soothe herself back to sleep. When I switched to water, she dropped to one waking at night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2009