16 year old dies on Ft. Lewis

It's old news, but the more I read people's reactions, the more irritated I get. A 16 y/o was found dead at 3 am in the Army barracks on Ft. Lewis last month. While the cause of death has not yet been released, she had a history of drug use. There were no signs of trauma.

Now! Of course she shouldn't have been on base at 3 am. But a few things to keep in mind, 16 is the age of consent in WA. 15,000 soldiers like on Ft. Lewis.

What kills me is that this wouldn't even have made the news if she'd died of a drug overdose at a party off base, but because it's on post, people want to completely blame the military.

In my opinion, shouldn't the parents take some blame? Their 16 year old, who had a history of drug problems was on a military installation at 3 am, where are the parents?

So what do you think?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 6:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I live on Ft Lewis, so I am just wondering, HOW OLD ARE THE SOLDIERS INVOLVED? They have not released that info as far as I know.
    This would make a difference to me because most soldiers who live in the barracks are barely 20 if even that. To me that is not a man but a boy.
    Also we still don't know when they met up and if it was the Soldiers who gave the girls the drugs or if the drugs were taken BEFORE they met up with the Soldiers.
    There is alot that is missing to this story.
    I am not excusing the Soldiers completely from what happened but there is so little facts out right now, we really don't know who is really to blame. the only thing for sure is THOSE GIRLS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE BARRACKS.
    Also Ft Lewis just got very strict about under age individuals coming on Post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• She was a minor. The men on base were not. Yes, the parents need to take some blame, but there were issues with just about all aspects of the story. It is sad all the way around.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I'm not familiar with the story so I can't comment too specifically on it. All I can say is that it's in the news not because people hate the military but because it is unusual. Teenagers do stupid things at parties all the time, they do them on military bases far less commonly. It's not news if it's happening every day. IT's the "Man bites dog" theory of journalism (dog bites man - no story, man bites dog - now that's a story).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• teens don't live on base with their parents?
    PomMomz

Answer by PomMomz at 8:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• this is a sad story. i cant really say her or her parents are to blame cuz i'm sure that no one wants to hear that their 16 y/o is dead. who r we to say they didnt try to help her, these days kids find ways to do thing they want. whoever took this girls life is going to answer to the big man upstairs.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 8:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Minors arent even supposed to be allowed in the barracks, much less at 3 am. The parents should shoulder some blame, the soldiers should be in a lot of hot water if they arent already, but the young lady should have known better. Sixteen is young and a lot of the times stupid, but she was at an age where she had control of a lot of her actions. Personal responsibility has to be a factor and it has to be taught from a young age.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would say it falls on the parents, it falls on the Sgt on duty, that is supposed to ensure that nobody underage is in the barracks without a good reason. Visiting a mom/dad/brother sister. etc. then they are to leave within a reasonably amount of time. I blame it on the chain of command for not doing health and welfare inspections. I also blame the soldiers because they know what the rules and regulations are and really did not give a crap. I saw too many drug and alcohol issues while in The Army. i saw too many people look the other way including MP's cause the unit is about to deploy soon. Can't have all that paperwork backing things up.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If anything it should be a lesson to young teenagers as to the danger of drug use... as many above have stated, their is still to many peices missing to determine if anyone is really to blame, or how many, etc. You could blame the parents, but if they lived on the base, and their daughter snuck out, there isn't much that they could have done, beyond barring doors and windows. You could blame the soldiers, but who's to say she didn't lie about her age, I know PLENTY of younger girls that did that, in order to date and hang with an older guy. You can blame their Sgt, but he can't be everywhere at once. And as the above poster said, who's to say she didn't take the drugs before she met up with the soldiers for a party, etc. There are so many things left to question, most of which don't deserve to shoulder the full weight of this girls death... it's sad, but as I said, it should be a lessoned learn to future teens.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Anon, I'm with you! I think Ft. Lewis really needs to get on the ball and release the rest of this story. I guess my beef with the situation is the reaction, people immediately want to hang the military.
    And Beckcork- that's my point. I think it's actually rather amazing that this hasn't happened before, there are 15,000 soldiers stationed there, most of whom are single (some stupid) young men, and this is the first 16 year old girl to show up dead? And from drug use too, not from foul play.

She was a civilian though, she wasn't a military dependent she didn't live on post.

I must say I think they are much more lax at Lewis than the Navy base we just moved from. I knew a boy that got kicked out of the nuke program for being with someone that was underage drinking.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2009