Time 4 Labor WTH Am I gonna do?

Anyone else live out in the boondocks with only 1 car that the SO takes to work 30 miles away from home when the hospital is 22 miles in the other direction worrying about how they are going to get to the hospital when labor starts? I AM! Im freaking out and I asked my SO today can I take him to work just in case I need to drive myself. He's like "you're not going to be able to drive yourself!" I'm like ugh Do u know everything? Imdue on Thursday. How much would it cost if I called an ambulance to pick me up>?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 7:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I live 45 minutes away from the hospital and my husband works in 24 hours shifts 2+ hours away from our home. For my first child, I was in active labor for over 24 hours and got there in plenty of time. Consecutive children tend to be born much faster, so for my next child, I am a little nervous about it to be honest with you. You may be able to drive, you may not. I wouldn't count on that though. How much ambulances charge varies depending on where you live. Some charge very little and some charge several hundred dollars (especially if they call for a paramedic to oversee the transport and care instead of just EMTs). They do take insurance. You should call your insurance company and ask them how much is covered for the ambulance and if you'll be responsible for any part of the bill. If you don't have insurance, call the ambulance company (not 911, the ambulance Co. will have their on billing # you can look up (cont)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• (cont) if you google their website or look them up on yellowpages.com) and let them know you don't have insurance and see what their prices are (some might have discounted rates for people without insurance). Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well, you could just deliver at home and call the EMT's lol. Honestly, they are trained not even to call a medic for a low risk pregnancy unless their appears to be a medical emergency. Calling an ambulance would be pointless to get a ride to the hospital, especially since birth is not an emergency and they have more important things to do than try and make sure you make it to the hospital in time.

I lived 50 min from my hospital and calling an ambulance wouldn't have been an option. Family, Friends, or waiting on SO to come home was an option though lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You just need to pay VERY close attention to your body and wait for signs of labor. With my son I was in labor for over 24 hours (I am guessing) and I didn't even notice. You SHOULD have plenty of time for Hubby to get home, and then to get you to the hospital. Keep the ambulance in mind just in case, but you should have lots of time to get there as long as you know what your body is doing!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If it makes you feel better I drove home from work when I was miscarrying. Anything is possible. I just tried to get there as fast as possible and as safely as possible. It hurt like hell. However I do not know if I could drive while in labor. In 2005 I had a friend drive me there when contractions were like a min or 2 apart. I wouldn't suggest waiting that long if you were going to drive yourself. lol as it hurt and I couldn't concentrate on anything but trying to breathe.

I was debating the same thing though. Have someone watch my other children and drive myself to the hospital and home from the hospital. Just don't know if they will let me do that though Normally I think people are suppose to bring car seat and such up to the room so the doctor / nurse can see baby in it. I am hoping I can do it myself though.
    royal_alez

Answer by royal_alez at 1:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009