My son has never been a sleeper, and he was sleeping through the night until he got sick. Now he's up every 2 hours. HELP

He's 10 months old, and was sleeping fine. Now, he doesn't want to sleep in his crib and wakes up every 2 hours. I've tried everything.....he's just wide awake all night. Even if I put him in our bed so I can get some rest he still doesn't want to sleep. I'm PULLING MY HAIR OUT! Plus, I am expecting again in July, and I'm really scared to think that's I'm going to have to deal with this plus an infant at night. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried swaddling him (if you have a blanket big enough) and playing womb sounds? sometimes going back to those earlier techniques helps as they get older
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• try to put him in his room with relaxing music, if he starts crying just let him be. he has to get use to it and he will learn that its bed time. dont give in to it cuz if u do thats why he stays up.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Getting sick often sets them back. I am not a huge fan of the cry it out method but in this situation you need to "sleep train" again. I would put him in his crib make sure he is fed of course and dry. He will probably cry the first few nights just go in there and let him know you are around the first few times he cries. Then you just have to let him go.....
    You could try and get some lavendar oil and put a bit on a tissue and stuff it in the sides of his crib. It helps them relax. Good luck
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It is probably a phase and it will pass. Just try to be really consistent about night time routines and if you have to go in his room in the middle of the night, try not to get him out of his crib. Pat him gently, read him a story, etc. It might also help to give him a blanket or soft toy (he is old enough now). My daughter has been doing this recently and is about the same age. I think it is just because they are so active during the day and are trying all sorts of new things. Pulling up, standing, crawling, walking, etc. ...they are busy, busy, busy and do not have time for sleep. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2009