How do i get my 10 year old daughter to stop peeing in her pants.

after school,in her room, every place on earth she has peed in her pants. I need help, i have told her very many times to try not to but its hasn't been working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well I think you need to be hard on her. My mom would normally spank me, or make me stand in the corner, one time she actually put a diper on me. so you can try that. or take things away from her each times she pees in her pants. no frineds, no phone, no computer, no tv.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• spank her!!!! shes is 10 years old, i have a soon to be 3 year old who doesnt even do that. if she wants to act like shes a baby treat her like one. if she know shes going to get in trouble for it maybe she'll stop
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 8:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• First rule out a UTI.....then get harsh on her.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I disagree with these other responses. I am all for spanking too, but I think this is a deeper problem. Ten yr old girls don't just pee in their pants for no reason. First you need to take her to her doc and explain to him this issue. He will probably do a urinalysis on her and rule out a bladder infection. Also if shes holding it for a long time until she wets, it could be that she has an overactive bladder. That commonly means that she might have to go all of a sudden and not have time to get to the bathroom. Does she dance around while she holding it because it hurts? Thats a common sign of an overactive bladder. Its just uncommon for a 10 yr old child to wet their pants because of laziness. My 7 yr old son still poops in his pants on occasion and I came down really hard on him. His doc explained that thats how he deals with emotional situations. He told me to make him clean up everything and he would outgrow it. Good luck
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think that spanking and corners are ridiculous. That is NOT going to address this problem. My nephew was having trouble and after "spankings, etc." they found out his bladder is half the size it was suppose to be. (That would make you feel real good about it huh?) Get her to a doctor to rule out anything physical and then to a psychatrist if there isnt. At 10 years old that is NOT NORMAL! And shouldnt be ignored.
    cksem

Answer by cksem at 8:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think there has to be either a physical problem or a mental problem for her to do this so I would NOT SPANK HER OR PUNISH HER. Take her to the doctor first of all, and then to a counselor who can sort through this with her. This is a sign of sexual abuse....for one thing. I don't want to jump to conclusions, I don't know anything about the situation, but it is not something to be ignored. There is no reward to her for peeing her pants....so there is more likely an issue of some kind that really, really needs to be addressed.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No spanking. Please take her to her doctor or a specialist. It sounds like she has an infection or damage to the bladder or urethra. This is not something to ignore. SHe doesn't need a spanking.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• NO spanking. This is a self esteem issue no matter if she's just not wanting or if she's got an infection. Get her to a female dr and do a uti test, the better one. Also how is she socially in school, in church? Does she hang with friends or no? Something emotional and physical are both going on. Tell her that her bladder is sick for doing this that she's not bad for this. Get her checked out and counselling if necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with the medical responses. My daughter who is ten now too, used to have a problem with constantly peeing her pants, only after taking her to the dr, she wasnt actually peeing her pants, her urethra is formed differently, and so when she would pee, there would be like a flap that would hold some extra urine, and as time went on , it would release it, ergo, peeing in her pants. Don't punish her, she's 10 years old and HAS to be embarrassed and ashamed. Spanking her at this point will do no good at all except make her feel even worse about herself. If it's not a medical issue ( and proven it's not) then consequences do need to be addressed for the behavior. But spanking is not one of them. Priveleges, early bedtime, etc...
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 1:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would take her to the Dr. she may have a problem. I am sure a 10 year old girl would not do that unless something is wrong.
    kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009