What time do your school age kids go to bed?

My DH thinks we put our 1st grader and kindergartener to bed too early. They're in bed by 7:30 and asleep by 8ish. They also get up at 6:30 and I have to wake them up.

They both napped til they were almost 5 and slept for 2 hours, plus they always slept for 12 hour stretches when they were smaller.

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine go at 8:30. It would still be daylight here at 7:30 and I refuse to send mine to bed when it's still daylight outside. I have horrible memories of being sent to bed as a child in the daylight by people other than my parents and I used to cry myself to sleep for hours because of it. I couldnt understand why I had to lay down for bed when the sun was still out and it reminded me that I wanted to be home with my parents. So as an adult I feel cruel sending them to bed any earlier. So my opinion is based on personal grief. I dont know if that would be much of a helpful answer lol.
    PorcelainMom81

Answer by PorcelainMom81 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine are in bed by 8 depending on the night sometimes 8:30. They are up by 7:30 and out of the house by 8:22. I agree with PorcelainMom with daylight savings around the corner it will become difficult. The good thing is that once my kids heads hit the pillow "they are out"
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I might add, because of what I already explained, I think it's mean to send any child, mine or not, to bed any earlier than 8:30. But like I said, that stems from a hurtful past of it being done to me. If it seems to traumatize them (they are crying themselves to sleep & having a hard time with that bed time) then maybe your husband is on to something. But you know what works for your family and kids better than anyone.
    PorcelainMom81

Answer by PorcelainMom81 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my dd goes to bed around 8:30 and is up at 7 am to get ready for school. when theres no school she can stay up. my son however is 3 and will still go to bed at 8pm hes cranky by this time due to being sleepy and its quiet time for me.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine are 8 1/2 (2nd grade), 5 (Pre-K) and 3 1/2 (not in school yet). They go to bed at 8, except on Wednesdays when it is more like 8:30 b/c we don't get home from my daughter's dance class until 8. The older 2 get up with their alarms at 6:30 and I wake my 3yo up then, too.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My younger kids are in bathed, fed and in bed by 8. The older ones (high school age) have to go to their rooms around 9 and in bed by 10.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My second grader is shower by 8 PM and bed at 9 PM everyday during the school yr. In the summer or vacations it can be as late as 10. PM before he hits the pillows...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• mine is in kg, i put him in bed at 8
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• 1st grader and 2 yr old...8pm sharp
    5th grader 8:30
    9th grader..whenever
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my DD is in kindergarten and goes to bed at 8. She wakes up at 7:30 (by herself usually) and gets on the bus at 8:25. My youngest DD is 2 and follows the same bedtime schedule as her older sister.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2009