HOW DO I GET MY DOG TO STOP PEEING ON THE FLOOR!

hes about 8 months now and hes still being on the floor. we take him out to pee every 30 minuts but hes still peeing and pooping on the floor. really need help!

Macara

Asked by Macara at 7:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Have you neutered him? He might be marking his "territory". Our dog used to do that when he'd go outside and smell the neighbors dog was in heat. It was extremely annoying to say the least.
    WhiskerLickins

Answer by WhiskerLickins at 7:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• TAKE THE DOG FOR A "RIDE"   ONE WAY RIDE

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You need to start crate training him, dogs will not pee where they sleep.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree with the crate training and will also add try putting down the puppy pads and see if you can train him to use those and slowly move them closer to the door. One of my dogs isnt the brightest bulb on the tree and it took awhile to train her but its possible to do.

Answer by gemgem at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ditto to crate training. This is an easy way to housebreak a dog. Also ration food/water. If you free feed your dog, then the dog will poop several times a day, if you feed on a schedual (once in the am and one in the pm, but not too close to bed time) this will schedual when the dog poops. Don't leave water down all the time either, give water periodically during the day. A dog that constantly eats/drinks all day, will constantly poop/pee all day.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• When we got our Lab she peed and pooed on the carpet. She was just like your dog and was 8 mos old and still doing it. I let her out ALL THE TIME!! We ended up taking up the carpet because i found out that no matter how much you clean it they can still smell it in the carpet. If you cannot take up the carpet, try using a mix of vinegar and water to clean it. I have used that on cat pee before and it strips the smell out pretty good. If you have wood or other floor, try the vinegar on that too. We also every time we took our dog out to pee i would say "go pee pee". Now, if i let her out, like at night and she won't go, if i say "go pee pee" she goes right to it. good luck
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh, crate! Pen him up every hour of every day and only let him out once you ask if he needs to potty. He is old enough to hold it for 8-10hours at a time now. Take him directly to the door, walk him out, give him 5 minutes to "perform" then if no-go, back in the crate he goes. If he does go, let him play for an hour or two. It took me 8 months to get my little dog potty trained, and she still leaves me a present once in a while when I make her mad. I threatened to find a new home for her, then opted for a crate.

I will never be an advocate of paper-training, or puppy pads, as I believe that is the cause of my hard time with this little one. Chloe came paper-trained at 8wks, and yes, she was. But she would also poop and pee on anything that was not the floor if her pad was the least bit soiled. That would be in my shoes, on suitcases, on toys, on rugs, once I found a tootsie-roll sized turd on a basket of clean laundry!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• RUB HER NOSE IN WHATEVER SHE DID..WOP HER ON THE BEHIND AND PUT HER OUTSIDE. YOULL ALSO DETECT WHEN SHE BOUT TO PEE OR POOP WHEN SHES BOUT TO DO THAT HURRY UP IN PUT HER OUTSIDE.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• make sure you limit the food and water. Make a place for him to go to eat, and drink his water. As soon as he does, put him out in a place you train him go to do his business. You have to make a point on regulating his intake of food and water. You may want to carte for an hr or two and then remove him to the outside with you and supervise his duty. Also walking your dog after eating and drinking will help. Walking 3 x daily will help him get the idea as other's have gone before him and he will get the idea. Remove all smells of poop and pee in the house, with a biodegrable product , that will remove the smells permently. Pet stores sell these products. You can take a leash and put him on it and then attach it to you! Then he is going to give you a sign when he wants to go and you will then remove him to the potty place. may take a few days to get this issue resolved. But it works.! Good luck.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Do not rub her nose in it and do not wop her on the behind. You need to go back to basic potty training a dog and it is you that will have to be consistent with the dog's training. You have to be in tune with the dogs routine. Crate training is an excellent method.
    Anonymous