Is there really such thing as a "True Christian"?

Go with me here. I see this almost daily, that someone's true christianity is called into question. The problem that I have with this is, how can any of us presume to know what a "True Christian" even is? Wouldn't True Christianity require true perfection? I think I can safely say, that not a one of us has obtained that. So, wouldn't the only "True Christian" be Christ himself?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I follow you. But I think a "true" Christian is anyone who sincerely endeavors to follow the path of Christ on a quest for personal spiritual development. Anyone who's intent is sincere is true, imo.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• A "True Christian" does not have to be perfect in action, just perfect in faith. If you believe that God the father sent Jesus his son to be our one and only Saviour, then you are a True Christian. Christians do not have to be perfect; we are all human. If you look for perfection in people, Christian or any others, you will always be disappointed. So yes, Jesus himself was the only Perfect Christian, but no where in the bible does it say that we have to be perfect, just faithful, prayerful, and obedient to his word.  I think that the posters who are constantly questioning the Christian faith, are looking for something greater than themselves to believe in.  If you want to talk, I'm always willing.

Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• There is a difference between being a "true Christian" and a "perfect Christian." Christ is indeed the only perfect person. However a "true Christian" really refers to someone that truly believes in Christ and follows his words. Their faith is often called into question when they do something that the Bible forbids. You have to remember that Christians sin and the Bible acknowledges this ("for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God") and offers forgiveness. You can be a true Christian so long as you have faith in God. The Bible also said "by their fruits, ye shall know them." Meaning you can tell a fellow believer by their actions. When people slip up, it is so easy to assume they're not really a Christian but the Bible also tells us that someone's salvation is not up to us to judge or determine. Only God really knows who is his and who really isn't.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The biggest part of Christianity is being forgiven for our sins (Christ's purpose for dying on the cross). Sinning and doing "ungodly" things like every human will do because of our nature but being able to go to God for forgiveness is what Christianity is all about.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• There've been so many great comments already on this post. The only True Christian,the only perfect person to ever walk the Earth is Jesus Christ. As the others have said, all we can do is live our lives, striving everyday to be like Him. Sadly,we are human,and we fail. Our best day is just a dirty rag compared to God. But, God is gracious,and loving,and forgiving. We have that promise in His word.That's why He sent His son to live,and walk amongst us,and then die the most horrendous death in the history of mankind. To give us that promise of forgiveness,and eternal life. Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice. As I've said before, I'm not perfect, just forgiven. Glory to God for that!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No there isnt.
    Anonymous

• No one on earth except Jesus has ever been or will ever be "perfect". But as long as we hear the word, believe, confess, are baptized, and continue to live as best we can, then we can be called a "true Christian". When you become a Christian, you turn away from your old life. We will stll stumble and make mistakes but we can always ask forgiveness.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No. Because there is no truth involved.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009