Any advice for my almost 2 year old?

She will be two at the end of March. Im trying to get rid of her bottles. She has been on a sippy cup since 9 months old. She only gets her bottle at night for her bedtime milk. Im trying to get her off of it. But is it ok to still give it to her? Also, how do i discipline her when she miss behaves. I have tried timeout. But sometimes i get aggrivated with the crying. Do i just let her be?? Or like when we go to the store she throws a fit if i put her in the cart. I dont know what to do. Please help..thanks.

BriannasMommiee

Asked by BriannasMommiee at 9:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She shouldn't be getting milk before bed, unless you brush her teeth afterwards. Milk, especially from bottles, pools in the mouth and can easily cause tooth decay. Milk is a lot different then breast milk and can rot teeth. So I would maybe try switching it to water, and start a bedtime routine. When my daughter stopped nursing before bed we started to read. She get's to pick out 1-2 books and then we read "Good Night Moon" as the finale.

Discipline needs to be constant, something you stick to. You can look up discipline on the Dr. Sears Website (since we don't spank, I use a lot of his techniques). I think he gives good advice. You should also remember that at 2 they are very curious, and independent which a lot of people call "the terrible twos" but in reality it's just them learning and exploring their world!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• As for the shopping cart, I usually let me DD walk but if it's crowded and i am in a rush I bring a toy for her and some snacks. That generally keeps her calm. She likes to stand in the cart too, which may not be the safest but she can get out of the buckles in the seating area. It's not as bad of a fall from the middle of the cart, then if she would stand up where the seat is making her a good 15 or more inches off the ground then the middle of the cart. She loves to ride in the cart though, because we always interact and play.

celticreverie

• If she's been on sippy cups since 9 months, why is she still being given a bottle? She doesn't need it. Just put her drink in a sippy and give that to her.

You put her in time out and when she stops crying, then you start the timer or however you're doing timeouts...but not until she stops crying.

How do you handle fits at home? Do the same in the store. If that means a time out then so be it...put her in time out in the middle of the store. You have to be consistent. If anyone in the store says anything, just tell them that when she stops misbehaving she'll be done with her time out and you'll continue shopping. Who cares what they think anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The bottle needs to go now to protect her teeth from damage. You will probaby have to go cold turkey. My DD is 10 months and we have already gotten rid of her bottle, it was a suprisingly easy transition (but of course every child will be different). As for discipline, whatever you choose , just be consistent with it. She will cry, resist, and outright defy you, but keep at it. It's ok for her to cry, just make sure you are explaining why she is in trouble and tell her what she can do instead that would be more appropriate.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Snacks and toys help when shopping but also I let her "read" the products we are buying sometimes when we are in a rush that helps ... just give them something they can't open like a can or something... she likes to hold it and play with it a few minutes...when she gets tired of that I give her something else like my keys but keep an eye on them cuz they will end up on the floor...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Just throw the bottles out, she will get it pretty quick that it's sippy's only. NO MILK AT BEDTIME. That will rot her teeth. We use time-out and just start the timer when she stops crying. Just let her be. As long as she isn't getting herself out of time-out keep using it. As far as the cart, let her cry. that's what I had to do. She finally got it that that wasn't going to get her out of it. People may look at you weird, ignore them or tell them why she is crying. I just ignore people. My DD would stop the crying in the cart after a few minutes when she realized I wasn't playing her games.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009