Do you respond to a post with bad spelling?

I'm taking a stand and not responding to any posts that I can barely make out what they are saying. I understand not everyone is a great speller, I myself have troubles when it comes to spelling and grammar. But really, there is a line when I think "Oh, honestly how do you get that word out of that spelling?" Oh, and also when its written in some sort of language I don't understand (Well Its English, but I have no idea what you are saying even with the correct spelling) Sorry this accidentally turned into a vent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Sure I have to agree, it's annoying. But...there are some people that just didn't end up with a very good education lol. I kinda feel sorry for them, they can't spell certain things and if it's that bad the spell checker won't even pick it up, due to it being so far different from the actual word. I think it's something we can overlook..it's petty! I think everyone should be able to enjoy this site (except nasty bitches) even the ones that can't spell well.  A lot of the reason is due to that woman being from another Country, coming here and learning a whole new language can be hard!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It is very irritating to try and do someone a favor by answering their question when they can't write it in a legible format. People need to understand that not everyone can understand "chat speak" and that slang varies from area to area so not everyone will understand the words you are using. If I knew the person personally and knew they were capable of better communication but posted like that anyway, I wouldn't answer. On CM, I don't know anyone personally. I assume that when people type using slang, no puncuation and misspelled words that it is because they don't know any better and me "boycotting" their posts isn't going to instantly educate them. If I can read it and understand it (and it is a question I can or want to answer), I answer it. The posts I can't read or understand...well obviously I can't answer those lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It doesnt matter to me if they can spell or not... Heck i cant spell half the time... Most ppl wite like they were txting anyway... Some make it easy and some make it hard.. I pay no mind..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• To clear up, I'm not really staging a boycott LOL. I like giving advice where I can and it makes it darn hard when I can't grasp what is being said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree I never know whether to take the question serious or not. At times they post with there site so I am able to get that there actually trying. It does get annoying, but I try my best to help. I mean I guess some did not get a good education, and the other some did. I guess we just have to deal with it, and I agree with the person who said most people these days type like they are texting on there cell or messenger. Its entirely true I find myself at times doing it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I dont reply to posts I dont understand. There are some with very bad spelling, grammar, no punctuation etc and with that sometimes I have NO IDEA what the persons trying to say. I can understand a type or one misplaced word, but sometimes, some posts are just wow.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If it appears that they have made an effort, then I do respond if I can figure out what they are asking. It could be mom whose first language isn't English, Or it could be someone like I am who is typing quickly and who misses a few words, I don't know how often I've deleted and corrected my posts, and sometimes I just shrug and hope people understand what I meant. If it appears to be one of the teenage boys (or maybe older men- I dunno) who is pretending to not be able to spell, and usually they are the posts asking about intimate or shocking matters so it isn't too hard to figure them out, then I don't answer.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Everyone makes spelling and grammar mistakes. But sometimes I read a post that was obviously made by a mom who was probably crying or in alot of distress and it is very hard to understand. The the poor thing comes back to complain that nobody cared.
    It's horrible when someone comments something rude to that original poster.
    I try so hard to preview my posts. I normally use a word program to type out my thoughts then post here. Especially when I'm upset.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Could be that they are holding the baby, like I do some times. It is hard to type one handed. Also some one dropped some crumbs down in the keyboard and some letters don't type sometimes. I need to get that cleaned....hummmm, anyone know how I can get the crumbs out of the keyboard on my laptop?
    Francinab

Answer by Francinab at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Spelling is one of my irks. I like all the letters to be in the right order. Now, if its a typo, then I can get past it and I even make some of those myself, but if I can't understand, I am not going to take the time to ask them to explain. I read one the other day that said something about "seporation" and something about "devorse". I know that I have a tendency to be uncompassionate about spelling and grammar. I really do try to see it through anothers eyes but this bugs me to no end. I find it unacceptable that MOST of these questions have simple words that are misspelled. It really does bother me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009