What do you give your kiddos as an after-school snack with it being so close to dinner?

millerbunch

Asked by millerbunch at 9:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My boys get home at 3:30, snack is popcorn, or a granola bar, or fruit. Nothing real heavy, and they have sugar free lemonade or water to drink... I'm pretty strict when it comes to eating. I also don't start supper until 5:30 and it's never anything heavy then either....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have a 4 yr. old, and 1yr. old, and I do either a few animal crackers or a piece of fruit. Just something light to hold them over.
    Stephanie15

Answer by Stephanie15 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Fruit is good, or a half sandwich cut in quarters. or some carrot and celery sticks. A glass of milk.

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• those sound like good choices.. my daughters act like they are starving when they come home...lol.. and always want mac/cheese or sandwiches.. i am like that is too much, being so close to dinner. i try to get them to do fruit or cheese sticks or something..
    millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 9:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• A piece of fruit and water as we want Josef to eat his super instead of snacking.
    Josef1129

Answer by Josef1129 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine basically grab what they want. My littler ones get cheese, carrots or fruits though. They have plenty to pick from though. Yogurt is fairly popular in my house too.

Answer by gemgem at 9:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• well my son isnt in school yet..hes only two, but i let him snack while i am cooking dinner... nothing big just little things... i find it quite hard too cook with a little one strapped to ur leg, or your constantly tripping over him.. so i throw him in the high chair and keep him busy :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine gets out really early - we're home by 2:30 and his class has lunch at 11:20, so pretty much anything is good and he'll still eat dinner. Usually he'll get frozen yogurt (literally, cup of yogurt thrown in the freezer - but don't use the light kind, only the regular will still defrost ok). If he's tired of that or we're out, his second choice is a bowl of cereal. It's also 50/50 that he spent more time talking than eating at lunch, so he may still have half the food from his lunch left over and he'll pick at that, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Like NotPanicking, mine go to lunch very early. They always have at least half their lunch left, and they eat that. Their choice, not mine. On the rare occasion that that doesn't happen, they have fruit, some cereal, and occasionally if I've baked some cookies or cake, they might have 2 or 3 cookies or a piece of cake. It also depends on when they ask for it. If they ask as I'm cooking dinner, they get nothing, b/c I want them to eat their dinner.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son has a small snack at daycare and then when he gets home and he tells me he is hungry I let him have a piece of gum just to keep his mouth going. I often think he just wants to eat because he is bored. If we don't have school and he is home a light snack like a few cookies or a yogurt. That seems to keep him happy.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009