Can you be encouraging even if the outcome scares you?

My DH was laid off just after thanksgiving and had gone to work for a turcking compnay after Christmas. He went through training and went on the road being told he was making amount that he did not make. He has since decided to quit that job and try to restart his own compnay again. We have no extra cash and can barely nake ends meet. I only bring home $1600.00 a month and our rent eats up 3/4 of that.
I want him to be happy and i tell him that i will stick by his side no matter waht happend but i am so scared that its not ging to work or not happen as quickly as he thinks it will.
Any suggestions on what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Now is not the time to start up a business. I would have a convo with him, letting him know that you support his dreams but you need to put needs first. He and/or you should get a steady job with steady income. JMO.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Wow.. that is a hard one. Yes, as a wife you need to be supportive, however on the other hand if you feel very strongly about it being the wrong decision..speak your peace kindly and compassionately. Right now, I would be frightened to try and start up a company. What is he wanting to start? And has he quite his job already? Did he speak to his boss to see why he didn't bring home what he thought? And try to work things out..
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Okay....well he has shown you that he can adapt and change as times require, so now if he tries this business I am sure he will see if it is not working and adjust. That is the faith you are telling him you have in him...You can't know if his business will succeed or not, but you can trust him to deal with it appropriately no matter what happens! So, what do you have to lose by letting him know you have faith in him as a person. Like I said, it is not about this business itself. It is about his ablility to do the right thing based on whatever does happen. Good Luck!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• To start up his own company he'd need a base of capital both for the business and to support the family until the business kicked in. It is so sad about your husband. He sounds like a good guy and hard worker. He must be feeling a lot of self-doubt and fear right now. Tell him that you appreciate all he is going through for his family, but that from what you see on the news that this is a tricky time to start a business and without a good base of money for start up and to carry the family expenses until the business kicks in that you feel extremely uneasy. The problem is that you don't want to have him feeling even more hopeless, poor guy. Perhaps you could look around your area and in the want ads and offer some suggestions. Or ask him to talk with a trusted relative or small business group about business prospects right now. He sounds like a winner, give him an extra hug.

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I can't tell you how many times that Ive been here. Too many to count. First of all, we sit down and talk about the pros and cons. Really think it through and its okay to be the voice of reality to him. Some men don't think about all the details. Once youve done that, and he still wants to do this, you sit back and support him, encourage him and do everything you can to make it successful. Theres nothing more pitiful and sad than a man who feels like a failure. If it doesn't work out, then you say encouraging positive things to help him through the next phase. I had to bite my tongue and ask God to help him and us because there were times I did not agree at all. He needed more than anything to know I was behind him 100%. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Does your local chamber of commerce do anything with the Small Business Administration?

The BIGGEST mistake people make is starting a business without capital. You might be able to get it through SBA.

Get counseling on starting this new business.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Work from Home!!!!!!

www.DoctorsMission.com

Anonymous