Grant ideas?

Watching the news, I see that our country is still fully funding all kinds of craptastic research projects (aka pork) in the interest of passing budgets faster than people can read through them completely. I've decided I want in, so I'm thinking up ideas for grad school research to get a few million in grant funding. So far I'm thinking the effect of black vs white shingles on A/C bills in the desert, or whether or not spam mail increases stress and irritation. Any other ideas? I want to have plenty to choose from in case I can get in on more than one grant.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you should request a grant to study whether or not hand can openers are producing less CO2 than electric can openers, and if the significant differences offset the amount of metal shavings that are produced and end up in your food, then consumed and is linked to Alzheimer's Disease. Because at one time it was thought that Alzheimer's was due to excess metal in the diet.
    And if electric metal can openers produce more metal shavings should we keep using them anyway because if we all have Alzheimer's we wont' care about global warming or know that it exists?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Im applying for one too LOL. Im going to try and open a non profit to help abused children become better adjusted human beings. Im sure Ill be denied.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You'll be denied, because that's something that SHOULD be approved. Theres hundreds of different kind's of grant's out there unused though. Did you know there's a personal grant for women? If you were to get approved, you could do whatever you wanted with the money. You could get a grant to get fake boobs! It's rediculous!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• ^^ not serious.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• ^^ not serious.

That was the goal ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• See now, I wanted to do research on the effects of offering education credits to some on public assistance. Give them more control over their future via training, skills, education, etc. Thus making public assistance temporary to re-establish the hand up principle.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Akin, but then we would have to outlaw electric can openers. And who could be trusted to throw theirs away, so they would have to be confiscated. hehehe
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i know, research, how stupid is that?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• my husband recently received a grant from the national endowment for the arts.
    it's going to allow the library he works at(one that is unable to receive anymore state funding for this particular program) to keep the program alive.

but you're right, grants are stupid. forget all the people that depend on programs like these.
    or, even better, forget all the people who depend on medications and information gleened from research that is performed with the money from grants!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think we do need more research on why cow gas is causing global warming. In my house, I declare that my boys are contributing to it BIG time! Maybe I need a private grant to prove how boys cause it as much as any herd of cows.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2009