As a step-mom what can I do in this situation?

My SD was late to school this morning because her BM & Stepdad woke up late but, I know what time they were up. should have had plenty of time to get her to school on time. I know that SD was late because I was waiting in the hall in front of her classroom with her book bag. I said I would run her bag there since they didnt have time to stop at our house & make it to school on time but, the first bell was ringing & announcements were starting before SD was in the classroom. Her hair looked a mess & SD looked exhausted. Her teacher looked at me like "what happened?" I tried to explain that her BM had just moved again, but there wasnt time to really tell the story. Either way, I am very upset. I could have made it to her house and picked SKs up & taken SD to school on time from the time I first found out that they were running late.
I am thinking of just telling her that I will pick up my SKs in AM to make sure SD is on time.

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• You could politely tell her that on days she sees she's running late you don't mind helping out and picking them up. That's just being helpful.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Your there when she needs you so an SM may even thank you. Its nice that you care an are there for the child, plus you can bring a brush to make sure shes looks proper!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ummm...I don't think it's your place to tell the BM when you will pick up her daughter because you don't want her to be late. IMO, that's overstepping. Feel free to ask and see how you can help get her to school on time, but do not just tell her what you are going to do with her daughter or other SKids. Talk to the BM if you have issues with the way she parents or runs her house, but don't just start telling her what to do or how to be a mother if she's not meeting your standards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We have already recieved a letter from the school that she has missed too many days (she was sick for all of them). They said they would have us meet with the principle if she missed anymore. Her Dad and I both make sure that she is on time to school.

I wouldnt just tell her that I was going to do this. I would tell it to her in a way to cause as few waves as possible. Things are actually doing pretty well between us right now. I am the one who talks to her in general. BM and daddy do not talk well to one another. It is better when I communicate. Also, we have tried talking about things in her household - ie. bedtime - and that didnt get us anywhere. She still puts them to bed too late and lets them watch tv when they go to bed (which means when they are at mom's they go to sleep 1hour to 2 hours later than they do here.) and they have to get up earlier there because I am daycare and SD gets bus from here.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2009