Going back to school, which road do I choose?

Okay, here is my debacle. I am really thinking about going back to school and I am looking at 2 options. I currently have several Business Management credits already and I almost have an Associates Degree. I can either use those existing credites plus take additional credits to pursue a dual degree program in Nursing and General Business at the school where I earned the credits. Or I can transfer the credits and take an accelerated Bachelors degree program in Human Resources management online.

Here is where I am unsure. I never saw myself as a nurse, but having working in health care for several years and it being an RN program I know I can be earning more than double my current salary and probably find a decent job fairly quickly and with an RN license. If I choose the HR it will be easier to complete online and I will be able to finish sooner, but I worry about the job prospects. Any advice?

2boysnaprincess

Asked by 2boysnaprincess at 10:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you like helping people and teaching, why not think about getting into therapy work. There is a huge demand for pediatric therapists. There are many options like occupational, physical, speech, feeding, etc.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• health care will always have jobs. however nothing else pisses me off when I am at work and see people helping and taking care of people who don't have their HEART in it because then people don't get properly taken care of. You can always tell the ones who are in it for a job and money and don't care one bit about hte people themselves.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i would go w the nursing right now...in this economy alot of "buisness" are hurting and it might take longer to find a job. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I htink nursing has more options. I work in an office and it is fine, but i look at my friends with tech degrees and think I should ahve been an exray tech or nurse or something. They just make more money. I would go for the health care field.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• What do you really want to do?? I say go to way your heart wants you to go. Where you will enjoy what you do...Hey, perhaps HR in a hospital! Do what you know you'll enjoy and have fun in. If your going to work 8 hours a day...do what you love!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• omg! I can't type today.. sorry
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am looking toward the nursing not just because of the job and the money, granted that is a plus and I do enjoy helping people. I don't know if I want to do a lot of the hands on patient care, but I would really love to work on more the educational side of nursing. I enjoy helping and teaching. So my hope is if I choose the nursing that I can coordinate that with teaching, whether it be teaching patients to care for themselves and manage their diseases better or whether it is teaching other nurses. That is where I am really hoping to go with this if I pursue the nursing. The human Resources intrigues me also, but I do worry about their being opportunity for me after I complete my degree. It is hard to decide, but having worked in Health Care, I do know what I am getting into as well.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have a good friend (On Cafemom Too!) that got her degree in Nursing (RN) and worked several years in the surgerical division in the hospital...and is now in the IT department at the same hospital. And loves it!! Stays busy...
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• see if your school offers an aptitude test to see what field you'd do best in. I'd hate to see you invest in Nursing school and not be able to do what nurses have to put up with. My dd wants to do that and I'm afraid she'd be terrible at it. She's not a people person and has no patience. Nurses need to be caring and she's not! Talk to the school counselor. There may be some in between field that will fit all your needs.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• But if I go into the therapy then I am looking at another 4 yrs or more and losing my general managment course work as well. I don't want to start over and be in my 40's just starting out. I am not fresh out of school. I have a family, kids, a fulltime job and I am going on 34. I am trying to find something that I want to do, won't take me a century to finish and that will challenge and motivate me and I will be able to find a job when it is all said and done. You have to keep in mind that I live in a small rural community and that I can't afford monetarily or timewise to go to school for a really long time period, I need to work. Plus there are not a lot of schools nearby either, so that factors in as well. But great suggestions and ideas ladies.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 5:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009