Are we born "innocent"?

Do you believe that we are born "innocent"? Please give your best detailed answer. Thank you!

BlueOrchid1122

Asked by BlueOrchid1122 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How can a newborn be anything BUT innocent. They are born without faults, judgements, or sin if you would like to call it. They don't hate, they don't judge others on their differences, that is ALL learned behavior.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes.....when born a child has no idea what is the 'right' type of behavior and what is 'wrong.' All they know is what feels good to them - which is why they might cry when they need a diaper change, or when they want their mama. Here are some of the definitions dictionary.com gives for innocent, and pretty much all of these describe a newborn to me:
    1. free from moral wrong; without sin; pure
    2. free from legal or specific wrong; guiltless
    3. not involving evil intent or motive
    4. not causing physical or moral injury;
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Depends on what religion you are I guess. We are all born of the original sin so some think we come into life with that baggage. I think that we are born innocent but that many children do carry the baggage of their parents choices. I dont think they deserve it but someone born of someone with a mental illness may end up carrying that baggage as an adult or life lesson. So yes were all innocent but we all come with life lessons to learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Personally, I believe a child is born innocent.. however they learn quick, lol. My daughters 14 months and knows how to push what's right and wrong.. and yes she understands, she's a very smart little girl. lol.

But in the end, it's still innocent, what she does, she does to learn. If we were all perfect, we wouldn't truly know what life was about, we would miss all the points and lessons life has to offer. Especially since I don't believe in an after life :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 11:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We are all born into sin,but until a child reaches the age of accountability, when they know right from wrong, then, they are innocent,because they haven't done anything wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would guess it depends on your definition of Innocent. When we are born we have no concept of good and bad right or wrong. Those are taught to us by our parents, society, religious beliefs, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We are born with original sin which secures our death, but as for just sin...no the child hasn't done anything wrong.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Depends what you mean by innocent. Babies are born without the knowledge to be able to commit sin. But babies do have original sin. Original sin is called ‘sin’ only in an analogical sense: it's a state of being and not an act. Original sin is the idea that "in" Adam all have sinned. This parallels the doctrine of justification that "in" Christ all are righteous. (See Rom. 5:12-19).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes.
    I dont know where detail could come into a simple question like this.

I think the idea of original sin is silly. I know that may offend some but its how I feel. We are pure when born. We are clean slates, here to learn and grow.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2009