When and how did you move your toddler out of a crib?

She's 21 months, sleeps very well at night in her crib (we never have to go in to her until morning unless she's really sick). She's never gotten out, maybe because she still sleeps in a sleep sack. We'd hate to wreck this, but our 6 month old will need the crib soon... Is there any reason besides that to move her to a big bed, though? Any successful strategies?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nah, you just gotta do it. Get a toddler bed with the railing. We kept our kids in their cribs till they climbed out. Our son was over 2 years, but daughter started climbing out at around 20 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mine is 31months and still happily in her crib. She got a big bed for Christmas and she gets to choose where to sleep. So far, she has always chosen her crib.

As for your situation, you'll just have to do it. All the sources I've read said to have at least a 2 month period where the crib it packed up and out of sight before putting the new baby in it. Otherwise the toddler will feel like the baby is stealing their beloved crib. The only reasons to move a child are they've exceeded the weight limits (usually 50 pounds), they are climbing out and you can't find a way to prevent it, or a new baby needs the crib.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My dd is 21 months and we took the side of her crib and turned it into a toddler/day bed. She loves climbing in and out of it. Most nights she goes right to bed. Some nights I have to put her back in two or three times. But I do the super nanny approach where you tuck in, then put back in and cover then w/o saying anything the next few times. Haven't any real problems unless I try to put her to bed when she's obviously not sleepy!
    Anonymous

• Children can stay in their cribs up to age 4 as long as they still fit and are sleeping well. Since you have a baby in need of a crib you don't have that luxury. If you can't borrow a crib from someone, then you'll have to put her in a bed.

I wouldn't spend the money on a toddler bed. I'd put her right into a twin bed with bed rails. After all, she won't use a toddler bed for very long and she'll sleep in a twin until she leaves home!

Tell her she's old enough for a big girl bed. Take her shopping with you and let her pick out her new sheets. Make a big deal about setting up her new bed in her room, how she's a big girl etc.

We're making the move to big boy beds in another month or two (as soon as DH gets the room painted). We travel a lot and they don't fit in their pack n plays so we need to make the switch now( as much as I'd prefer to wait). It'll also make potty training go more smoothly this summer (I hope).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009