Ho moms feel on here about pitbulls and babies? Do you think no matter how the dog is raised it will attack or if it's brought up loving is it going to be a good dog? Or wouldn't do it...

Do you believe that it's just a dangerous dog? Or will it be okay since he will grow up in a loving home? I always end up with a pit somehow or another....and always seems to be good dogs....so I don't k ow what the hype is all about. I believe it's all in how you raise them.

shortimicmama

Asked by shortimicmama at 11:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pets

• The American Staffordshire Terrier originated from breedings of the old English bulldog and one or more game English terriers. The qualities of strength, courage, loyalty, trustworthiness and companionship have made this an enduring breed, part and parcel of American history and legend. Generations of children have grown up watching "Our Gang" comedies with Pete the pup, a registered American Staffordshire Terrier. The breed was recognized in 1936 by the American Kennel Club and given the name Staffordshire Terrier, chosen to avoid confusion with the already recognized Bull Terrier, a similarly derived English counterpart. In 1972 the name was changed to American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Staffordshire Terrier is a strong, athletic dog. Males measure up to 19 inches at the shoulder (55 to 65 pounds); females are usually an inch shorter and 5 to 10 pounds lighter. . With firm, consistent training,makes it a great dog.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i wouldnt have one around my kids but that is me i dont like dogs anyways
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It is all in how they are raised. I would not bring a pitt bull into my home unless I got it as a puppy and had raised it. They are one of the many breeds that get a bad name for themselves.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I believe it is a gene. I don't believe it is how they are raised, if they have that gene one day they COULD snap.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Pit Bulls are evil. Keep them away from all children and animals. Thousands of pit bills that were "sweet" and "never hurt a fly" attack for no reason. It is a gene.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I won't have any new dogs around my child as a baby. The ones I have are only animals, and regardless the breed, if they snap at my baby or show any signs of jealousy or aggression, they're finding new homes. DH and I raise good dogs. The annual pet parade, for the last 8 yrs of my life I've taken a dog, and always got the $100 reward for Best Behaved.

I don't necessarily believe it's the breed, as I've not had enough experience to say so, but I do believe that I'm weary, even of the dogs I have. They are great around my nephew and nieces, but that doesn't mean they won't get mad when MY baby comes and MY attention goes to him instead. Like I said, we raise good dogs, but I'll definately be watching. I think it depends more on the dog's personality and attachment to the family pack that determines how they will act around your child.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We had a pit bull (got her as a puppy) when my little sis was 1 yr old and my niece lived with us (also 1 yr old) and I babysat for my boyfriends sister ( a 1 yr old). It was like a freakin' daycare!! But the dog was the sweetest dog ever. Not a violent bone in her body. She NEVER EVER exhibited violent behaviour and the babies literally crawled all over her. I say, it is how the dog is raised and treated that makes them how they are.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i have a pit bull who is the sweetest dog ever, and she guards my baby like he is her puppy. if she hears something funny, she runs to him and sits beside him. Its not a gene that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard.
    haydens_mom08

Answer by haydens_mom08 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well my feeling is I love pitts and all mastiff breeds but all dogs should be watched closely when they are around small children or people they do not know. I think 90-95% of a dogs behavior is how it was raised, 5-10% is how the dog was bred. By this I don' t mean the actual breed but how closely related the bloodlines of the dog are. I have had bad experiences with not only dogs but cats and horses that were inbred/linebred and done to closely with bad mental outcomes.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree that it's all in how they are raised... I am pregnant and when we move into our new house we plan to get a pit puppy- but AFTER we have the baby so the dog doesn't feel replaced. We will pick it out carefully and raise it right. My husband raised pit bulls for years and knows how to train them well.

As far as the gene that makes them snap goes... it's not a gene, however in some breeds of dogs, including pits and rotties, there can be a chemical released in the brain if they suffer any kind of head trauma, and this makes them snap. It doesn't happen by itself, something has to happen to the dog to cause it. One of my DH's old pits got her head run over by a truck... she wasn't hurt, but the next day she tried to kill him without warning. So that is what to watch for.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009