When do babies normally start walking?? What age did yours start?

My DD is turning one this Sunday & she still isn't walking. She just doesn't want to! We've tried & tried & tried but i know you can't push them & it's not good to force them. She's been pushing her little toys around & has even pushed the laundry basket & walked along w/it. She only stands for a second & then drops down & starts crawling. Should i be concerned?? This is my first child & i know i shouldn't compare her b/c every child is different but other kids her age that we know are walking.

BellasMommy85

Asked by BellasMommy85 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's actually a wide range of what is considered "normal" age for first steps. I believe the range is as wide as 10 months to 16 months. (Give or take a month on either side.) "Average" is 12 months but children that take a little longer are still in that big window of "normal."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son walked at 8 1/2 months but his legs were really bowed out his little pplay mate was walking right along with him but my neice didnt fully start until after one i think it varies from child to child
    crissy386

Answer by crissy386 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• She will soon. Mine were both 11 months.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• She's bearing weight on her legs and will walk when holding onto things - she sounds fine. The range of "normal" is 9 to 16 months!
    Try to give her plenty of chances to hold on to things and walk. Also give her plenty of smaller things and textures to play with and explore... she may be more of an intellectual baby or a fine-motor-skills baby and less of a go-go-go large motor skills baby.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I remember at my sons 1st birthday, he was almost walking but not quite, we still had to hold onto his hands. About a month or two after that he would walk small distances. Another month he was walking like crazy, and hasn't stopped since.
    Your child sounds completely normal, great that she is holding onto things and pushing them. Try putting toys or things to play with on a coffee table and letting her hold herself up to play, that worked well with my DS. He didnt want to pull himself up to the table or walk along it, unless there was a good reason to (like toys).
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• 3 out of 4 of my kids walked just around a year, within 2 weeks. But my one son (one of my triplets) didn't walk til he was about 17 months old.
    mishy

Answer by mishy at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• LOL you really have nothing to worry about. My son is almost 1 too and he is doing all the same things. Don't compare your baby to these other claims on cafemom cause it'll just drive you nuts. Some go really early some don't walk until 17 mo. and they've all turned out just fine. I don't think it means a baby is smarter or more advanced if they walk early...I've always been told "enjoy this time that they're not walking yet because once they get the hang of it they are non-stop and getting into everything!"
    googiemommy

Answer by googiemommy at 1:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The average is between 11 months and 14 months. But it isn't uncommon for children to be before or after that range. My DS was 9 months old when he started. If she walks using things, I'm sure she just needs to get her courage up before she tries the real thing. I would NOT be concerned :)
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008