6 year old peeing where he shouldn't be...

I just realized that my 6 yo stepson has peed into his container of bath toys...either that or he peed into one of the little cups in the tub and poured it in there... I realize this isn't a huge deal, I'm just curious if others with little boys have seen this happen? When he gets home from school I plan to just explain that he needs to pee into the toilet ONLY and also explain that I will need to throw those toys away that were in the container.......... I'm afraid he might be upset about losing those toys, but I'm 7 months pregnant and the thought of washing pee off his toys literally makes me gag.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it is normal. My nephew used to pee on trees in the back yard, but he would stop mid stream and scoot over to another tree and pee on it and then move to another. We used to watch thru the kitchen window and laugh so hard. Thank God they live in th country!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• maybe the consequences of loosing his bath toys will prevnet future problems. When my DS was about that age he used to pee on the wooden handle of the plunger b/c he wanted to make the wood "change colors." weird huh - I just figured it was a boy thing - he did not like having to clean the entire bathroom and didnt do it again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thanks ladies. It's just nice to hear from other moms sometimes that they are going through/have been through similar things! I didn't have any brothers growing up so "boy stuff" is kind of like another language to me sometimes! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh yes...this is a boy thing. My son is now 7 but about a year ago or so, we kept smelling a strong "pee" smell in their bathroom. It was so bad that my older girls were throwing a fit about going in there and wanted to use my bathroom. I finally figured out that my son had been peeing in the trash can. I was livid with him. He did it just to be annoying and for fun I guess. So I made him scrub out the trashcan and spray it down and put a bag in it. He hasn't done that since, but I do find him going pee outside all the time. Its like peeing in the toilet is just too normal and boring...LOL...Hopefully with his habit of his, I can get my 3 yr old son potty trained this summer. He likes to pee anywhere other than the potty too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yeah kids do it. Have dad wash the toys if the smell bothers you. They should be washed and disinfected periodically anyway if they stay in the bathroom. You wouldn't want staff germs growing on them (even without the pee). You need to get used to the smell of urine if you are having a baby. Babies pee everywhere and the smell can linger.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• everyone of mine did it. The bathroom trashcan was a usual alternative. It is normal, but not acceptable. I came down pretty hard on them. They only did it once(that I know of) each.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son thought it was cool to pee outside ....Everywhere we would be at the grocery store and heading to the car next thing i would know he would be peeing and i would be standing there with a red face. He finally quit doing that after I had enough and he wasn't allowed to go to the store with me till he had some manners lol
    leelee107

Answer by leelee107 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• While some of this is normal, there may be some anger issues here. Is he threatened by the new baby coming. Maybe you and your husband need to sit down with him and talk to him about his fears. As to the toys, most of them can be tossed in the washer with a little bleach.
    sanskrit

Answer by sanskrit at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• First kids do strange things. That is just so they can figure out how things work and to push the limits on those around them. My son used to pee on his water doddle matt. Most of the time they will grow out of it other times it might be helpful to just start praising him for peeing in the tolet where he should be.
    It could be that he is doing it to try peeing standing up. It might also help if dad teaches him how to do so. I know that helped alot with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2009