I'm 22 weeks pregnant. My cervix is soft and feels open. What should I do?

I know this is probably TMI but I am sort of concerned so I'm going to ask this anyway.

I've been major constipation to the point of when I'm able to go without a struggle I'm surprised. I drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, particulary green leafy veggies but nothing helps.

ANYHOW I was having more trouble than usual yesterday and I started feeling sore in my vaginal area from the pushing so I checked my cervix (I know how because I practice NFP). IT FELT SOFT AND OPEN!!

Could it have just been swollen? I have had a bit of gooy, mucus like discharge but no bloody show. I also haven't had any more cramping than normal. Should I be concerned? I'm only 20 weeks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think youre right about the swelling. I have issues with constipation as well because of meds and vitamins and after I have a very hard time going to the bathroom, my vaginal area feels very swollen as well. I am not pregnant and I can still feel that. I think thats exactly what youre feeling. Good for you for practicing NFP. Its so much better for your body. If you have any concerns, I would ask the doc at your next visit. I dont think its an issue that you need to run in and check. Just keep an eye on it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• first Q:is this your first baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• im sorry but stop sticking your finger up there if you practiced anything then YOU should know that you could cause your self to dialate and you could also cause infection

also if it is "soft" theen you should GO TO THE DOCTOR also something you should know if you practiced anything
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No this is NOT my first baby.

And practicing NFP does not mean you know everything about pregnancy. HOW RUDE!!!

SECOND...occationally checking the cervix JUST LIKE THE DOCTOR DOES is NOT going to cause dialation. I am NOT putting any pressure on the cervix. Just gently feeling it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• well doctors dont even check you often and honestly it is not smart to do that and if you dont know it then why do it ? and if you are worried about it being soft and open WHY ASK CAFEMOM????? you should be on the phone with your dr period that is the common sense of it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Thats why. Cervixs tend to feel slightly open in moms that have already had babies. I agree to stop sticking the finger in there. You can cause an infection or inflammation. If your not experiencing cramping, bloody discharge, I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I just wanted to know if it was cause for concern. I should have known not to ask on here. Most of the women are absurdly insensitive and can't just be polite to a concerned mom.

Also my doctor has checked me several times during this pregnancy for other concerns and applies a lot more force than I do.

I always clean my hands and use sterile gloves when I check myself during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• thank you momofsaee and other annon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• just wondering are you 20 or 22 weeks? because in your post title it says 22 weeks but at the end of it it says 20 weeks so im sorry but are you really pregnant or is this a repeat post from a few weeks ago looking for attention?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I'm 22 weeks. LOL

I didn't even realize that I did that. I am just stuck thinking I'm 20 weeks for some reason. I did the same thing when I orginally posted the title and fixed it but I didn't even realize that I did that at the end. Thanks for pointing that out. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009