Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ducks in a row...

Well there is a chance my dh and I will be adoting a baby next month. This wasn't a planned thing. My best friend called last night and asked if we would be interested in adopting her cousin inlaws baby. I haven't talked to the bm yet because she is in the middle of a 8hour move and I will talk to her tomorrow. I was wondering how hard it was to get a home study, and all the paper work down in month. She is due april 10th so she could have this baby at any time. Also Is there a way to get garding (sp?) ship before the homestudy is done if for some reason she goes into labor tomorrow???

Answer Question

Asked by Ms.MarineWife at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • If she signs away parental rights you don't have to go through all that. That I know of anyways. You will have to file temporary guardian ship as soon as the baby is born. I would call your local DHS and ask them if there is anything you should do before the baby comes. I think you will need a lawyer though.

    Answer by heather.darin at 11:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I know i need a home study but I wasnt sure about the temp guardian ship. It's going to be a full adoption because both bm and dad dont want anything to do with the baby. She didnt want to hear that heart beat or see the ultra sound. She doesnt want to know the sex she pretty much just want to have the baby and be done with it. I guess she didn't even know she was pregnant until 32 weeks...

    Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 12:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • You need to find a good adoption lawyer that will do everything by the books for you. Both BM and BD will need to terminate parental rights...and the details very by state. The lawyer should be able to point you in the direction of other avenues you will need (home study etc...) Start with a good adopton lawyer. (Mine is in Houston, Texas! Wish she was there to help you.)

    Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • We are in Hawaii and she is in Oregon so I have a feeling this is going to be fun.

    Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 12:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I knew a couple from Nashville, TN that adopted from Colorado. How exciting...Wish you all the best of luck.

    Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • First of all, congrats! I believe that you are going to need a homestudy and you want to move as quickly as you can on that. A couple of things that you need are your childabuse clearance, your criminal clearance and your FBI fingerprints. I would google Adoption + criminal clearance, I forget which but some of them can be done right on line and you print out the results and use those for the home study and some will take some time and there is no way to rush them unfortunately. I would start calling around and finding a homestudy place in Hawaii, many require classes and you want to get scheduled as soon as you can. It is do-able though in a month. Good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • With this being a family placement they can push a lot of this out. You'll have to go to court in whatever state they are located and ask for emergency/temp custody in order to take the child out of state. Then you will need the homestudy, etc. If you know you are getting this baby then I'd go ahead and set up the baby's room with the basics. See who has a crib you can have, clothes, etc. Check with an attorney and they should be able to help you out.

    Answer by baconbits at 9:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
legal question

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Can anyone tell me if this is right?