How to stop swaddling?

Or daughter is 6 months. She rolls onto her tummy all day long, and I think she could sleep better that way than swaddled. Plus her arms get out of her swaddler blanket sometimes and that upsets her. When she goes down, she screams as I pin her arms down, but she won't go to sleep without it, either. So every night begins with crying it out -- usually only for a few minutes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• time to start sleep training my dear, my baby is 6 months too, we stopped sweaddling her at 4 months, she was getting too old, now we let her cry for a few mins, and she can now calm herself, it took weeks, but now she falls right to sleep on her own
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son is 6 months (7 months tomorrow) and does the same thing. He screams when we swaddle him but won't sleep if we don't. I just think he doesn't like to be held still for even a minute. Half the time I can't even get a diaper on the kid! Usually at some point in the middle of the night he wiggles himself out and stays asleep but he will NOT go to sleep if he's not all wrapped up so we wrap him up. I'm hoping someday he just grows out of it on his own but until then I'm just gonna keep doing what works.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I was in the same position as you with the swaddle and we finally had o get rid of itat about 4 months he was too big. I was afraid to death who would never sleep without it. But every morning when I went in to get him he was half out of the swaddle anyway arms and all! So what we did is we bought "sleep sacks". You can get them at babies r us. its a sack they sleep in but keeps their arms free and zips up the front, yet keeping them a bit confined. its kind of a blanket you wear and safe because they cant pull it over their face and head like you can with a blanket.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• wish i could help, but basically when we stopped swaddling Calvin at about 7 months he was pretty much fine, The first week we stopped doing it he only ended up in it for 2 of 7 nights, and now about 3 months later hes fine without it. don't know, i guess we just got lucky that he adapted to the change well
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 4:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2009