Tax credit? Home Study?

I forgot to ask this with my last question but does the fees for the homestudy fall in the tax credit you can get when you adopt? ONly asking because this wasnt planned and we are going to have to take out a personal loan just to pay for all the fees. We live in hawaii ans the bm is in Oregon soo we have plane tickets, home study fees, laywer fees, plus all the stuff we need for the baby. All this in a months time is going to hit us hard!!! Also what do they look for in a homestudy? I know stuff like the house being clean and having a bedroom for the baby. Do you need to have the room all set up or just have the room. Do you need to have all the baby safety stuff like plugs and gates. Sorry if I seem alittle slow with all this but it was just dropped in my lap last night.

Ms.MarineWife

Asked by Ms.MarineWife at 11:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Adoption

• When our home study was done it included an interview both jointly with my husband and then one separately for each of us, plus with the klds(in the case of a baby that's not a step). She wanted to know our historys both family, our marriage and finances. She looked for safety latches, gates, hazards. She checked to see if there was a pool or trampoline. She wanted to know where medicines were kept, cleaners, If we had poison control numbers posted. She also asked would would take the kids if something happened to us. It was a necesary step...but it also felt intrusive for us. We are genrally private people.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh, she did check the kids rooms. They were already living with us at the time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• OK thanks I wasnt really sure what they looked for.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 12:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• They asked us how we planned to discipline our child. (in addition to the other things already mentioned)
    angela43115

Answer by angela43115 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes, the cost of the homestudy is one of the things that you can use with the tax credit. Remember though, you can only take the credit in the year the adoption finalized. For example, I have a baby who was born in January 09, I wont finalize until November 2009 so I should make it for 2010 because I am in a state that takes long. Your state may be different but I would be careful not to assume you are getting the $$ back right away.

The homestudy also varies by state but basically you have to prove you can afford the baby, have room for him/her and that your house doesnt have any hazards that you cant protect. (do you have a fence around your pool, a trampoline, etc) We are also asked for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on each floor.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the baby's room has to be set up yet.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ours was a private adoption, but in the same state. All we did was get ourselves an attorney. The courts sent someone to our home to investigate and just talk to us. She just basically did a walk through of our home and wanted to see the baby room. We had to turn in medical reports to our attorney, and background checks. If you call an adoption attorney they will tell you all you need to do.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009