Any good books?

Is there a good book or 2 that I should read before adopting?

Ms.MarineWife

Asked by Ms.MarineWife at 12:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Adoption

• Adoption for Dummies...I'm not kidding I saw it the other day when I was looking for another book, and let me tell you the selection for books about adoption have been very skimpy, at least here anyway. There's also one (I think it's been recommended on here before) I think it's called "20 Things that Children Wished their Adoptive Parents Knew" I skimmed over it and it looked like a good book.
    Anonymous

• 20 things by Sherrie Eldridge is a very good book. Also the Primal Wound by Nancy Verrier. It's not a feel good book, but it's subtitled "understanding the Adopted Child" which is the focus. Nancy is an Adoptive mom. Both these books are about Infant Adoption so if you're planning on adopting from the foster system they may not apply. If you're looking for adoption books you cant beat Amazon.com. You can even buy them used there.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Anything about attachment and bonding and/or sensory disorders.... SD's can stem from attachment issues... not always but sometimes..it's just better to read it all to be prepared for anything! I think we read everything we could find before we adopted.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Are Those Kids Yours by Cheri Register is a great one, especially for cross cultural adoption.
    Anonymous

• If you are doing older child and/or foster care adoption, here are the books I recommend:

Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins-Best
    Attaching in Adoption by Deborah Gray
    Adopting the Hurt Child by Regina Kupeck and Gregory Keck

They may scare you a bit, but are these books are very useful in helping prospective adoptive parents of older child to have realistic expectations. Adopting an older child is very rewarding but it comes with challenges, such as emotional and behavioral issues, that you need to be prepared for.

If you are trying to decide which type of adoption is right for you, The Adoption Resource Book is good, although I thought the section on foster care adoption was a bit light.
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler.
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 12:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Recommended reading list from American Adoption Congress
    http://www.americanadoptioncongress.org/recommended_reading.php
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 2:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I love the story of David Pelzer. They deal with how he was abused young in life and how he grew and changed and eventually became the man he is today. The first book is "A Child Called It'. There are 3 books total but I can't recall the other 2. These are not feel good books but will bring you to tears to realize the abuse that a child can go thru before they ever come into your home. The autorities in CA say his is the worst case of child abuse ever documented in CA. I've also heard him speak at a foster parent banquet. If you ever get a chance please go to hear him. It opens your eyes to realize what children in our system have to endure and helps to explain why they aren't "normal" children.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks everyone!!!
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 11:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• As an adult adoptee, I hated "The Primal Wound." I felt all of that stuff was a load of crap.
    Anonymous