Could Obama's Budget really raise the price of Airfares?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/AviationUserFeesInObamaBudget_199865-1.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
Aviation groups are raising the alarm after combing President Barack Obama's first budget and finding the term "direct user charges" in relation to FAA funding. In fact, the Obama administration targets raising $7 billion annually, roughly half the FAA's budget by "repealing some aviation excise taxes and replacing these taxes with direct user charges." The charges would begin in 2011. The language is on page 129 of the budget (View the PDF.) Not surprisingly, general aviation groups are unanimous in their opposition to the language.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Prices are going to go up anyways-did you see the story about charging for the bathroom??
    Anonymous

• yea that is ryanair. One airline. Not all FAA
    Anonymous

• I think Obama will cause the rise in price of everything. It's called inflation and that is what happens when you try to spend your way out of a deficit. This has been in the making now for quite some time, and oh, the people are suddenly waking up to find themselves submerged in Obamanation? Wth did everyone think all those books were written for? Kicks and giggles??
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Obama's budget is going to raise the price of EVERYTHING!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Wow..I remember $5 gallon of milk--in BUSH's days..I remember $4.50 gallon of gas..in BUSH's days..

I love your collective amnesia..It's so hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• Inflation under Carter will look cheap compared to what Obama is doing. Carter really screwed things up. Obama will take it further. He is Carter 5.0
    Anonymous

• Carter 5.0 ROFL!!!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• anon :19, this question directly asks if Obama's budget will affect airfare? Not a word about Bush. But by all means, let your bitterness live and breathe.

Akin is right, it's inflation and it will be taking over a town near you very soon. This out of control spending binge Obama is on will drive prices higher than any of the likes of us have seen in our lifetimes. Good luck, y'all!
    Anonymous

• Wait... I'm still laughing at that first Anon. comment. Charging for the bathroom on an airplane?? I would tell them that I am travelling with very little money (which I normally do), and if they don't let me in the bathroom, I will pee on my seat. We're 30,000 feet in the air...what will they do? Kick me off the plane?
    Pay toilets will not work, because releasing bodily waste is a necessity.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I keep forgetting Bush gave Eve the apple and singlehandedly killed off all the dinosaurs.

Milk came back down and so did gas long before O took over. But look, he's actually physically pushing prices higher on purpose! Where am I when the kool aid goes around? I never get any!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009