Whats the difference between PPD and just plain old depression?

It's been 7 months since I've had my baby and I've been feeling kind of depressed. I'm just not looking forward to things anymore, nothing seems exciting, and everything stresses me out. So just because it's been less than a year since I've had my baby does that make it PPD? I thought PPD was more when you were depressed ABOUT the baby and although now that I have one it causes lots of stress I don't blame my feelings on my son. I've never felt the temptation to harm myself or my child ever and I think the only thing I do look forward to is taking care of him so what would be the difference between PPD and just regular depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• It isn't necc. about the baby. Its more about how you feel. Are you feeling as though there is no purpose in your life? Do you think that you'd be better off dead? Do you want to harm yourself or others?

It sounds to me-personally-that you've been shut up in a house taking care of baby and haven't had a Good Time in a while? Time to get out and do something fun for yourself-then see how you feel?
    Anonymous

• No, it's nothing that serious and I have been out a few times. I think it's mostly because my husband just lost a bunch of hours at his job and nobody seems to be hiring...they're all laying everyone off and I'm scared about what's going to happen in the future especially now that we have the baby. It's just so stressful that it's just getting to the point where I don't want to deal with it anymore (but not suicidal). I just feel like nothing is ever going to work out and I'm not going to be happy so that's I guess what I mean when I say I don't look forward to anything.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like depression related to stressors in your life right now and not PPD. Call your doctor, they may want to see you.
    Anonymous

• PPD can last 2 yrs or even longer so I'm guessing it's PPD with you but I'm not a doctor. Try some of the PPD groups or Health groups and see what they say. I'd check my doctor if it keeps up.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Wether its PPD or just depression, its something that you should talk to your MD about. Its a chemical imbalance that you can't "snap out of" or help, so get some treatment and start enjoying life again!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009