Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If babysat for 7kids (2 under 1yrs. 2 toddlers and 1 3yrs old and 2 newborns)?

What would be the charge? In Texas
Babysitting at your own home.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • here is a kewl site that can help u figure it out better

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Are some of these kids siblings? Maybe a discount for siblings...Im guessing because it is different everywhere but $150/wk per child.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Not sure about your state but in my state that would be illegal unless you take the proper steps to get certified. I would definitely look into the laws of your state for that.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 12:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • they would be responsible for my therapy lol good luck

    Answer by jodi205 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • If you keep 7 kids by yourself,you better figure in nerve pills,and a stiff drink at the end of the keep 2 kids I charge 150.00 per week,they are siblings.I live in Va,but I spend quite a bit on them,because,I spoil them rotten,they are 5 and 3,I have had them,since they were 8 wks each.

    Answer by Val504 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • In our state you are not allowed to watch more than five by yourself. Call where you get your permit and see if they have comparable rates for other sitting services in the area.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • in most states you cant legally watch that many children. here you can have: 4 under 1 yr or 6 under 3, then it goes up from there. it goes by the age of the YOUNGEST child. I'm not positive but think texas law is the same as OK for this.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Check with the state because you don't want to be watching them if its not legal. I know in alot of states to watch that many kids you have to be licensed. Which you may want to look into. Licensing doesn't cost much if anything, just the time to do it, and you get a lot more benefits from being licensed. I know that if you are licensed you can write off quite a few things as tax write offs for the business (for example any educational toys you buy, outdoor play sets, housekeeper if you decide to hire one, gardener if it enhances the play area used for your child care, food you buy for the kids, I think you can claim a deduction for wear and tear on your house and furniture...) definitely check into it.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I am in TX and I am working on getting registered through the state. I currently keep a couple (2) kids that are family. I called all the daycare centers in my area to determine what a fair rate would be. Anyone under 18 months is $125 a week. Over 18 months through school aged (they have to be attending school) is $90. After school care is $50 a week and during the summer this goes up to $75 a week. Like AprilDJC said, contact the state to get either listed or registered. I would recommend becoming registered because if you are only listed you can only keep 3 children that are not directly related to you. Becoming registered isn't too hard. You have to attend a class given by the state (1 day) and meet all their guidelines (this is the part I am working on)! Let me know if you have any questions! I don't mind answering them if I can!

    Answer by tandknix at 2:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Open a licensed daycare, with proper staffing ratios. It's not fair to the children in your care to not have the proper attention at all times. If the parents send them to you with a ratio like that, then they don't care, so someone has to.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.