Why is black history month catching all of the backlash?

With the other question and with my experiences people are saying that black history month is segregating this country. Do you all not realize that there are other months to recognized other races and cultures. I have to take a class through the military and they gave us a list so that we would know which month consist of recognitions for a certain race.
Hispanic Heritage Month is sept 15-october 15
National American Indian Heritage Month is in November
Asian Pacific Heritage Month is in May
Irish American Heritage Month is in March
Italian Heritage Month-October.
Now I have to admit, I didn't know about the last two. Now that people know about these other races being recognized is black history month still the only month that she be done away with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO I don't think black history month or any other mother that is celebrated because of race or heritage is excluding people. It's just a time when people of all races can celebrate the accomplishments of one race.
    Anonymous

• Im Hispanic and dont really see a huge deal made about the month were celebrated. I think it should be equal. If were going to celebrate any race then each race should get the same amount of airtime on tv etc. Thats my opinion. Including white people.

Answer by gemgem at 12:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• OP...don't you think the reason black history month gets so much recognition is because people went out and fought for years for it to be recognized. Not to put any other races down, but it was almost like their months were just given to them. There was much of a fight involved which why I personally think they don't get as much recognition.
    Anonymous

• I agree it's an equality thing. You don't see the other heritage months on TV or anything like that. It doesn't make me mad, I actually really don't care. You really would have to have such and such history DAY if you wanted to give equal time to all races.

To give one culture a highly celebrated month and basically kind of ignore the rest is just as racist as saying the rest of those cultures aren't as good. MO.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• But you don't hear about them... i have never heard of any of those.... i thought there weren't any... people just think we don't need it anymore... or if they keep it, every race should get the same recignition and attention.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• OP again...but whose fault is it that those months aren't being recognized? Is it really the black community's fault that black history month gets the attention that it gets? I wouldn't think that the black community is purposely trying to get more recognition than other months. Also when it comes to the media...the majority of it is owned by white men. So, therefore it is them that is not acknowledging other races.
    Anonymous

• I hate to post anon, but fear is really pushing me to. The majority of people are not backlashing, it is the people that are angry because they don't like our new president, and feel that black history month directly celebrates him.
    Anonymous

• Maybe people are really seeing by doing all this stuff by race is just fueling the racism train even more...quit acknowledging race and people will quit seeing it

Anonymous

• I think it always has to some degree or another. It really shouldn't because we don't educate very diversly. When and if we did that, we could just celebrate being a melting pot all of the time.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• We need to give more recognition to American Indian culture , Latino culture, and all of these other cultures for the invaluable contributions that they have made to making America ,America. It is good that African American are getting recognition . Unfortunately all these other cultures have taken a back seat to the African American cultures. They too have made invaluable contributions to this country and they too have suffered atrocities .

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 12:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2009