Do you really believe humans were meant to spend their life with only one person?

I have a hard time believing that humans are suppose to be with one person for their whole life. (Romantically speaking)
Just look at the divorce rate. Cheating abounds!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• NOPE! I believe that we are meant to have many different people come in and out of our lives.. I believe that this is why love goes through stages ( to get us together lol) for instance Lust (which fades). I think ( especially if you get older or marry and a few years go by) that you basically Settle! Settle into a pattern with a Partner and convince yourself that their the one forever. We are programmed since children ( esp. women) to grow up, marry and have a family so I think this is what sets us apart from most Animals!
    Anonymous

• I think if we go off animal instincts then no. But since we are smarter and able to make decision and use critical thinking skills unlike other animals then yes it is possible. Being with someone isnt just about the romance, that can fade over time, buts it more about the committment and having a companion to share your life with and raise children with. Sure some marriages end because people have unrealistic expectations of what marriage is supposed to be, but if you go into it knowing that it isnt always rainbows and butterflies then I think you can be with someone forever. My grandparents did it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Nope not at all. I don't believe in soul mates but I do believe in compatibility and chemistry. I totally believe that it is possible for 2 people to be completely happy with each other for the rest of their lives but I don't believe it is because they were literally made for each other. If 2 people have compatible personalities, opinions, lifestyles, etc. then it might just make them perfect for each other but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone else out there that they would be just as happy with had they not met. It all depends on how well 2 people can work and live together. Unfortunatley, not too many people meet someone they can work so well with.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think women can be but I don't think men are naturally monogamous.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I do believe we were meant to spend our whole lives with one person. I can tell you that my answer is from a biblical stand point. I believe that God created someone for everyone, see this is where we go wrong. We look for love in all the wrong places and in the wrong people. If we really seek God and make sure that we are marrying the person he has just for us then the divorce rate wouldnt be so high!!! Think about the book of Genesis when GOd created woman for man, he took Adams rib and created a woman for him. Every man out there is missing his "rib". I hope this helps you and God bless.
    Anonymous

• I think you can be with the right person who feels the same way you do.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I don't think so, at all. I think humans are very sexual creatures, and it's in our nature to be promiscuous. However, society has helped us to become the walking talking apes, and so if we want to live HAPPILY in society, we really have to keep our urges under control. Plus, if you promise someone that you are going to be with only them for life, then you had better damn well follow through.
    theRonimal

Answer by theRonimal at 1:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I believe that we were meant to be with one person and one person only. Let's look at some facts- the number of sexual partners a woman has is linked with her chances of getting cervical cancer. Being monogamous is the only sure way to not risk getting STD's (I mean both partner's having been only with eachother). If our bodies were made to have sex with anyone we so desire at any time, why all the STD's?
    I haven't even mentioned the emotional damage that incurs when switching from sex partner to sex partner. Women get so emotional when they lose a man that they've given their body to, even if that's just a one night stand. I've seen it on many occasions!
    People who don't believe in monogamy are missing out on the most beautiful thing in the world. "To have and to hold, through sickness and in health." You're not going to get that hopping from bed to bed. Marriage is supossed to be forever and it's sad it's not for most.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009