What would happen if everyone decided not to pay taxes?

I mean, if enough of the American public loses their jobs and can't pay, and Obama raises taxes on those who can pay, and they refuse to carry the entire country on their shoulders... then what? The government can't arrest us all.
What would happen if we all just decided to tell the government where they can stick their "tax plan"?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They take it out of our paychecks before we get them. Otherwise I'm all for it. For all I care Pelosi's Marsh mice can go take a dive into the oceans that are evidently in Arizona because they need funding for shrimp farming.

I'm allergic. Why should I pay for shrimp in the desert?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• You need to google Margaret Thatcher's quotes
    At some point in socialistic societies, you begin to run out of everyone else's money.
    Like this is a new idea? It doesn't work, time and time again, it doesn't work.
    How many people do you think will come to the conclusion you did this morning and how much longer do you think it will take?
    Not to offend you OP, but seriously, HOW MUCH LONGER BEFORE WE ALL HAVE HAD ENOUGH? It's only been 40 days and the braindead are asking for more time for Obama.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Use the Geithner method. Claim as much as you can so very little is held out for federal and state taxes. You will have a lot more money each month so you can feed your family and buy things you need. At tax time don't bother filing. Once it is caught and you are audited lie like Geithner did and say you used Turbo Tax and it screwed everything up for you.  You can lie and say you never got any notices too.

Anonymous

• Better yet what happens when there are no jobs, no one pays, and those who saved leave the country with their money and tell us to all go to hell? Personally I can see that happening and hope it does.
    Anonymous

• The country will crumble and those who know how to survive will. We will turn into a 3rd world country and no one will want to do business with us bc we will have nothing left.

All great nations fall sometime.
    Anonymous

• I think we should pay taxes but nj specifically should set free tolls on thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th July and Labor Day. To go through that state I'd rather up the tolls the rest of the year and free tolls those dates!! Our taxes are important to bring in money for the country for federal and state. I think hotel taxes for example are stupid.
    Anonymous

• sounds like a good idea but we would only be hurting ourseleves in the end... our taxes pay for alot... of schools would be affected...hospitals... all kinds of important things...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• First of all, the IRS would find a few people and make very fine examples of what can happen if we concertively decided not to pay. LOL Can you spell J-A-I-L? Or C-O-N-F-I-S-C-A-T-I-O-N? Those few would pay the price and the rest of us would shake in our boots and kick ourselves for thinking of such absurdities.

Actually, I'm with ya! But I would hope I wasn't one of the "chosen" LOL.

I'm with the poster that said we should all change our withholding. I mean, why does ANYONE want to lend their hard earned money, (esp. the ones that complain they don't have enough), interest free for a full year? Hey, if you want to lend your money out, I'd be sure to take good care of it and send it all back to you clean, pressed and ironed if you like. Naw, no one is stupid enough to send me their money. But we send it to Washington every pay day.

Ok, lets start a withholding revolt....hehehe
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes... every one lets just stop paying taxes and ride on roads full of pot holes and from the all money we save by not paying taxes we will send all our kids to private schools as all public schools will be run in shacks. We will hope people will still come from all around the world to see the united mess of america and we can shoot 'slum dog' movies in every state as we will have slums every where as we will have no money for social security or medicare or child services or any other welfare program and all poor, old, helpless and disabled people will be thrown on the streets to fend for themselves!!!!!
    If it were left for you rich mean selfish people... who are against government and refuse to see anything good the government can do for people... then we its not long before USA will becomes UMA (United Mess of America)
    Anonymous

• If it were left for you rich mean selfish people... who are against government and refuse to see anything good the government can do for people... then we its not long before USA will becomes UMA (United Mess of America)

The rich already pay most of the taxes. The poor pay none or get back what little they pay in and then a whole lot more. Sorry we are already the UMA and will be until Obonga is booted out of office.
    Anonymous