how do i introduce my son to his sister

i have a 20 months old son and now im expecting a little girl she will be due on july and my son will turn 2 on june... he know that i have a baby on my belly and he say "baby". but i dont know how he is going to feel about another baby in the house.. he's been the our baby for so long that he may be jelous.. how can i introduce the new baby to my son!! thnaks

bryanmommy17

Asked by bryanmommy17 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just include him in things now. My first two were 2.5 yrs apart and I dont know if theres a perfect way to introduce them but I included my dd in buying things and planning for the baby as much as a I could. Then when he was born she was ready to meet him because she had been involved on some level in planning for his arrival. I just had my husband bring her to the hospital and she met her brother there. She had known the whole time she would stay with my best friend when I had her brother so she knew what was going on since we had never been apart otherwise.

Answer by gemgem at 12:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think it is a good idea to help him make an I'm a big brother shirt, and maybe let him bring a ballon to you or something in the hospital. Spend lots of one on one time with him. Ive also heard people say to not use the baby as a reason for not doing something. For example if he wants to go outside and play but the baby is napping don't tell him you can't because the baby is napping. Use another reason to wait like we will go out when mommy has the dishes done. That may help with jealousy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My husband and I have included her in everything. She was at my 20 w u/s and we explained that there was a baby in my belly.

She is going to be here for the birth, since it's a home birth, and will make the choice to watch or not. It depends on how she feels.

We are also involving her in everything AND DH is going to take her to pick up a lovey for the new baby either during labor, right before or right after, so she can present it to the baby as the baby's first gift. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• When our daughter was born we brought our son into the hospital room and I was in the bed holding her and he said "whats that?" LOL we kept telling him that's sissy, at first he was really jealous if we would hold her and not him or give her bottles (he hates bottles, so he didn't want them in the house). Then after a month he would try to feed her with the bottle he would see her and say "sissy, awwww" It's so cute. Now she's 8 months (walking) and they play together and go crazy! LOL So you just have to show him you love him the same, I would hold them both or try not to walk around holding her so he wouldn't get jealous. He's still little so he'll just learn that she's here for good!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• One cute idea I've seen is to get a small present for your son, wrap it up, and take it to the hospital with you. When he first comes to see the baby, have the present in the bassinett with the baby - it's a "hello big brother" gift from her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009