Are diet pills "bad" or do they work?

I'm thinking about trying some diet pills to jump-start my weight loss and am not familiar with any. I've never considered them before. Are they unhealthy? Do they work? What kind should I take?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 12:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It made me anxious :( My brother gave me a tip. Eats 3 snacks of 100 calories and 3 meals of 400 calories. Do some kind of arobics. Keep a log it helps me. Drink tea and water. Check out weightlossforall.com. Best wishes! You can do it but you HAVE to be determined.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I consider them to be unhealthy. They "work" because they change up your heart beat, energy and water...none of that sounds healthy and you can't do any of it for a long period of time. The healthiest way is eating healthy and working out...period.
    Anonymous

• They will whittle your wallet...but not much else.

Weight Watchers or South Beach.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It depends what you use. Personally I would recommend against them. They are very expensive, most of them dont work. It would be better to eat right and exercise. They do change your heart rate and your metabolism. My mom decided to take diet pills after she had my little brother. As for speeding up her heart rate..they definitely did, but it never regulated. Now, 18 years later, she still has an irregular heart rate and has been in and out of hospitals more times than i can count. Did she lose weight? Not at all.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I have been on alli for about 1 week and have lost 4pounds it works great....
    Anonymous

• NONONONO DIET PILLS ARE SOO BAD....I was on alli, it made my heart race and i was going to pass out... my dr said never go on any
    Anonymous

• OK What I don't think people understand is that diet pills are not for people to sit around and lose weight. They are created to give people energy enough to get off their butts and exercise. Alli is for lazy people, they work because you take the pill then go and eat your fat unhealthy cheeseburger and the pill blocks the greasy fatness and makes it squirt out your butt! Seriously, I was taking them and had to wear a pad because I was always squirting oil out my butt! (sounds gross) anyways, thats what pills are for! So they do work if you workout! Can't sit around and expect them to do the work for you! I eat TruChocolate, it's expensive but it works. I've lost 10 pounds in 9 days off eating it. If you just want to sit around and do nothing then eat TruChocolate, it works for you! go to www.chocolatewowteam.com/brittany this is who I buy mine from, she gave me a discount! GL!
    Anonymous

• tru choc, is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive what a waste, just eat right and work out
    Anonymous

• I have to agree....pills are a waste and most likely unhealthy. We are overweight becasue we put junk in our bodies....so let's not put more in there with pills. Alli may work for some, but the anon poster talking about that is slightly wrong in how it works. You aren't supposed to go ahead and eat greasy cheeseburgers so you get diarrhea. You are supposed to barely eat any fats at all with alli because if you do that will happen. The alli diet with the pill is very restrictive and the pill will make you sick if you stray!

Nothing is healthier for you than eating a balance of healthy carbs, lean meats and proteins, dairy, fruits and vegetables along with working out. And the greatest thing is even if you can't afford a gym membership or fancy equipment there are workout videos or just your own two feet and the outdoors!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• read any diet pill label, it clearly states that it works "with a healthy diet and excersise" so if you just try that part first (and drink LOTS of water) without the pills, i'm sure it'll work lol. there's a lot of false advertisement with diet pills and people get carried away, they're like placebos really...only expensive ones- good luck though
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2009