What can this country to to have health insurance for life for every single citizen born here?

Health insurance is a mess. I have a college student aging out of our insurance soon, can go on cobra through my husband's company but wow is that expensive. But for choice of doctors and more personal control over health decisions it's worth it because we have a good plan. It's expensive but I know we're lucky. Would organizations specific to certain careers offering health insurance be a good idea? If you're an engineer, a nurse, a teacher then through a chosen associated organization not necessasrily through a specific employer? Unions specifically for all careers for health care plans? How can this country better it's health PLANS for coverage for all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Regulating how much companies can profit from insurance.

How rich can doctors get? Really. Why do I pay 75 dollars for a 10 minute appointment with a doctor?

How can hospitals negotiate bills but I myself cannot. Why can the execs at hospitals have million dollar salaries but allow the staff of the hospital to be over worked and under staffed?

Money and greed.
    Anonymous

• Health insurance is a cycle. First you will need to train more people to be doctors because if you don't then you will see an abundance of people waiting to see a doctor for 4 hours or more and I don't mean in the ER. If we don't have the adequate number of doctors then people will be treated as a number and more people will die from preventable diseases and/or problems because it will take 4-6 months just to be able to have the necessary surgery or procedure. Until that happens we will not have a health care system that actually works.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• There are so many misconceptions about universal health care its ridiculous. All we do is listen to the politicians and media and we think we have some knowledge on this topic. Watch the movie Sicko and talk to people from these countries and learn about how much freedom they have to choose doctors...and how much they LOVE their health care system. America can do it and knows how to do it. They just won't because too many big business companies wouldn't make billions of dollars anymore.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Um let's see, start throwing the frivolous lawsuits out the door, so docs don't have to pay millions in insurance every year.

Get rid of the entitlement piece- the fact that a person exists doesn't give them a right to insurance. Everyone that's capable needs to work. I agree with insuring children, seniors, and the disabled. The government could fund a privatized plan for those who HAVE WORK that doesn't offer medical benefits. Of course HUGE tax cuts for companies that offer health insurance to their people.

Spare me the keeping the poor down lecture. I'm not for that at all. But you shouldn't be practically starving because you refuse to work with your hand out all the time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Limit the number of frivolous lawsuits and fraudulent claims for starters...that would reduce operating/billing costs for hospitals and insurance companies, which in turn would lower premiums/deductables.

Turn health care in to a PREVENTATIVE and /or MAINTENANCE program. Reward (via lower insurance costs) those who CHOOSE healthy lifestyles...get annual well-check physicals, maintain a healthy weight, don't drink excessively, don't smoke, have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, who eat a healthy diet, or exercise regularly..or create incentives to do so (rebates for gym memberships or to Weight Watchers etc.,)

If people began to take a pro active responsible approach to their health, there would be far fewer claims, less cost involved, medical costs would go down.

It's NEVER gonna happen...American's are too selfish and lazy as a whole to want to actually work at making healthy choices.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Mamachamp are you serious?Sicko is more baised than MSM could ever be.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter can probably purchase blue cross and blue shield for around $100/month if she is healthy. I have done that for me and my daughter for years and Ive had no problems. I think cobra would be outrageously expensive. Look into buying blue cross for her they have a ton of plans.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• lol change our name to Canada
    Anonymous

• It's safe to say that opinions on the Universal "socialized" Healthcare System are subjective ones. Some say it's good, some say it's terrible. I say, we are not a socialist country, well, not completely just yet. We do have plenty of socialistic principles at play as it is, but to force people to pay extra out of their pockets so that everyone gets healthcare, well, it is NOT the way the country was founded to run. If the founding father wanted a socialized country, they would have stated/done so in the Constitution.
    Oh, and spare me the crap lecture about needing to feed the poor, take care of everyone, cumbaya-bs. My family does NOT bust their A$$ every single day to pay for others to get a free ride. AND you can be sure I will be teaching my kids NOT to be leaches.
    Anonymous

• Why do I pay 75 dollars for a 10 minute appointment with a doctor?

Because computers cost more than files, and people who can work a computer cost more than people who just need to write in a file. (btw, expect the medical costs to go up with this new universal computerized system BO just funded) Jumping through all the hoops required to navigate medicare takes an extra employee, and heat and lights for the office cost more than they used to.

You can still find cheaper offices. They're the ones that haven't upgraded their equipment since 1973. We have a dentist in town like that - $50 base fee for pretty much anything. Novacaine optional.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009