Drug test

Why doesn't the goverment drug test before giving out food stamps or other public assistance? This is a huge soap box of mine and I can't understand why we should give someone money for food if they spent their money on drugs.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because a drug test doesn't mean that they spend THEIR money or the governments money. It just means they have drugs in their system.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• food stamps don't come in money form. they're on a card and anything other than food that you try to buy is denied.

tanf [temporary assistance for needy families] which also comes on the card is completely different and you can actually take the cash out of an atm.

they don't drug test in order for you to qualify for these things, but they do make you sign a paper that says you understand that you could be drug tested at any time. by signing it you agree that your benefits will be terminated upon a positive drug screening.
    BriasMommy_827

Answer by BriasMommy_827 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Im on food stamps, and I think drug testing would be a good idea to weed out those that have addictions. I take medications for legitimate reasons so Id have to report what Im taking upfront because it would show up on a test.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• DRUG TEST WOULD JUST COST ALOT MORE MONEY
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• AND MAYBE IF THEY ARE ON DRUGS FOOD STAMPS ARE THE ONLY WAY THAT CHILD GETS TO EAT SO WHY PUNISH THE CHILD AND MAKE THEM STARVE CAUSE OF THE PARENTS ADDICTION
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think it's a great idea! It's probably not done because they don't want to pay for it.

Why make the children starve becaues of the parents' addiction? It happens. Some kids have bad parents.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I just think it would be one way they could stop people from abusing the system. It drives me crazy that people smoke and do drugs but they expect the goverment to pay for other stuff for them. I think they should all have to take classes on money management and be doing something to get off welfare. Their are gov. jobs that need done and they could even make people work for it. We are paying someone to mow city property, they could let people on welfare do that, or sweeping, work in soup kitchens. Their is so much that coud be done and people would feel better and have a sense of purpose instead of just being given something. something has to be done to stop abuse of the system...just wanted to see what your ideas are. I know some people really need it for short term, but their are many that use it as a lifestyle.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• The stamps are meant to be for children mainly. If someone is an addict they may be wise enough to know they will be tested. Unles given randomly. I understand what you are saying. But in the long run we all know there are alot of flaws in the system although good intentioned. Why does everyone act like it is coming directly out of their pockets. Taxes are collected for loads of programs. This may be a minority one in retrospect. JMO
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree i don't think that a drug test is necessary for food stamps it is in a card form not even over the counter meds are allowed to be purchased on the card i don't think..
    Beda1970

Answer by Beda1970 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009