How should I approach my childs Kindergarten Teacher

OK, so, my 6 yr old DS is in Kendergarten this year. A Few weeks ago we got a note home saying that the class will be going on a field trip in April to the Sea Lab and Botanical Gardens. The note informed everyone that since the trip will last longer than the normal school day that they will be using a chartered bus and that the children will have lunch at the Botanical Gardens. It stated that because of these things that the price for the trip will be $50 per child. It also stated that we had to pay a $25 non-refundable deposit by Feb. 27th, in order to secure our child a seat on the bus. No big deal. I sent the $25 deposit to school with my son on Friday the 27th. That night he brought home the envelope that I had sent the money in. It contained the receipt for the $25 and a note saying that My son needed a chaperone. not the class, but my son. I feel that he is being singled out. How should I approach the teacher?

ljmcmichael

Asked by ljmcmichael at 1:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would simply make a point to call the teacher or visit the school and ask her to clarify what she meant by him needing a chaperone...is this an issue just with him (and why) or do all the kids need their own chaperone?
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• besides this issue, you should have open communication with his teacher. my son is in K and I have her home phone #, though Ive never used it. we also communicate via email often.
    just call the office and tell them you need to have a sit down with the teacher, they should be able to tell you a time during school hours, like lunch when you can chat or a time before ir after school. kids often act one way at home , 1 way at school. she shouldve notified you of the chaperone prior to deposit. stand you ground, this is your chid, you should be told whats up regardless if there are issues or not.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I too have my dd's teachers names and numbers along with email addresses. We email back and forth on a weekly basis. If something is going on they let us know. Email the teacher or take you son in to class and ask about setting up a time
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 2:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Also, it stated that there is a $50 charge for each chaperone. I cannot afford to pay $50, take a day off work and still have to send 2 other children to daycare. The two younger children would also have to go to a sitter after daycare, (more $) as their daycare will close before the field trip bus returns.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would venture to guess your teacher has asked for you to chaperone (or provide one) for the trip, because your son has a developmental issue (PRS). It is likely for his safety that this request is being made. If you are not able to accompany your son, then why not see if a trusted neighbor, the parent of a classmate, or family member can take your place? Otherwise, you're going to have to skip this trip.

I have two autistic children, and in there have been field trips in their mainstream classrooms that required my accompanying of them, or we simply didn't participate.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I would call or email the teacher and ask her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• That would annoy me too!! If they are requiring a chaperon for your child, and are requesting that you go they need to flip the bill. I'd just kindly call and ask what was going on.
    Anonymous

• Does your child misbehave at school? Does he listen to his teacher? Does he have any special needs that require one on one attention in new situations? I ask this because I have been where you are. I did not have to ask the teacher because I knew what was happening at school each day. My oldest son was not allowed to go on any feild trips last year without me by his side because of his behavior. (He has since learned his lesson, and has been allowed to attend feild trips this year without me. (althouth I am going on the next two just because they are so much fun!)
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• That is interesting. Has your child had issues before or is this totally news to you?? I can't imagine your teacher not communicating with you at all up until now about your son's behavior if it has been a problem. Personally, when there are trips like this, I PREFER to go if I am able. It just makes me feel better to be with my son when he is so far away from home in someone else's care. If you are totally taken aback by this, by all means go to the school and speak with his teacher, you deserve to be informed of your son's progress, and you should already have been made aware of what is going on, IMO....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Wow that is a crazy price to pay for a trip!!! I would set up a conference and find out exactly why the teacher is giving this stipulation. Teachers do often have this right, but you are entitled to know exactly why. If you do know of prior issues, and you don't want to go too, talk to her about refunding that money. See the principal too. Bring an advocate (husband, mom, friend) if it makes you feel more comfortable. I can say I have one child I won't take on any trips even with a chaperon becasse the behavior has been beyond atrocious. No discussion allowed.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2009