This is more of a legal question. My sons father is seeing this woman, I have a feeling she is living there, I have asked him many times but he refuses to give me an answer. Do I have the right to know if a woman is living in his house?

His father has every other weekend visits at his house

JessicaDale624

Asked by JessicaDale624 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe you have the right to know what your son is being introduced to. JMO
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Legally? Nope. It's none of your business, and he is under no obligation to tell you.

Should he? Sure. That way the two of you could be working to help your son understand the situation. And it would keep him from feeling stuck in the middle.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• YES you have an absolute right to know what his happening in his home, especially if a woman is living there..and, especially if your son is spending time there.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Legally no.. unless you feel or think that this person is a threat to your child ...
    Should he tell you yes, but many don't or won't...
    Also you can set some ground rules with him about here under the assumption that she is there...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes.. You need to know who he is around... Ur the mama, take charge... PLUS in some states that illegal.. it is in ar, you have to be married to live with someone, you cant even have a roomate, its not healthy for the child...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i dont know legal or not but i would just let him know you do have a right to know whos also with your child xpecily if she is living with him to make sure shes not crazy but you never know she could be a wonderful women. just like your x would have a right if you move a man in. im sure he would want to know if someone is helping or around your child.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

You have to be married in order to live with someone? That sounds like a load of crap to me. So you couldn't live with your sister or cousin or best friend? What if the parents are married? What happens then? I don't believe that for a second.
    Anonymous

• What if the parents *aren't* married?
    Anonymous

• From a legal stand point, no you do not have to know who he is living with. In some states you don't even have to legally know where he is living. If he is not the custodial parent, then the father's house is not his permanent residence, therefore of no concern to the state. Unless there is some sort of abuse going on there. Even then you have to be able to prove it before something will be done. What we were told with my step-sons mom is that will he is in her care, she can do/take him where ever she feels, and expose to him to who ever she feels, unless we have a court order stating otherwise.

And having been that woman living with the ex before, I do feel you have the right to know. But at the same time you need to get why you want to know straight. Are you truely concerned about who your son is around? Or are you just jealous?
    Anonymous

• None of your business. I seriously doubt most women would want to tell their spouses about their boyfriends and live in lovers. Why should he. He is the father and at his home he gets to make judgement calls like mom does at her home. Unless there is abuse get over it.
    Anonymous