financial assistance

I want to go back to school full time and work part time. I was told if I did that then I wouldn't qualify for any assistance such cash, child care, food support. Is anyone in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I only wish....and yes this is soooo true.

A friend of mine also got all of her college paid for too! Why work for a scholarship when you can have a child out of wedlock and get the same benefits.

Sorry this is a sore subject for me.
    Anonymous

• I went to school full time and worked part time and STILL received food stamps and medicaid. But, what you'll need to do is file for pell grants at fafsa.ed.gov. Yes, it can affect how much food stamps benefits you get (depending on what youre making with your job). The welfare office will send you a form to take to the school's financial office, which will disclose how much your getting in grant money, etc.

I live in Indiana, and maybe it is different from state to state.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am not sure how it is now, but 10 years ago, when my boys were 2 and 1, I was able to get the Pell Grant and it paid for my college, and Title XX through the DSHS for child care where I only had to pay $40 a week or something for child care 4 days a week for both my boys. My hubby was still a E1 in the Air Force, so we were not getting paid much at all, and we still qualified for food stamps and WIC even with his pay, but they would only give me Title XX for the daycare if I was in school full time of course. And we qualified at that time for food stamps even though I wasn't working because I was going to school full time. You should check with your DSHS to see what can be done for you if you would rather go to school full time and work part time. More often than not they are willing to help you find the assistance you need if you are truly trying to better yourself.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009