What should I say to motherinlaw?

She loves to go to those Sam's Club outlets late at night on a weeknight, and I am so tired. So I told hubby to go with out me. MIL got annoyed that I did not go and is being so short with me on the phone. She got annoyed and called us to find out when we were coming because my son was over for a half hour. Just petty stuff she is getting so mad by snubbing me and staying on the phone for 1 minute. Just cold. What should I say to her? I am too nice always kissing @@ and I don't want to do it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• If I didn't want to go, I'd just say no, I'm tired, maybe next weekend or maybe tomorrow during normal shopping hours. When my oldest was as baby I didn't mind going at midnight or 4 in the a.m. because chances are she was up anyway and could and would sleep anywhere but after a certain age for the kids, I can't just up and go all hours of the day and night. i have to consider nap time, feeding times, bedtimes etc... routines are so important with our family. But I'd just be honest and tell her that I'm sorry, but I'm too tired, or I want to just sit here and enjoy the peace of having the house alone, want to read, want to do whatever it is that I want to do and offer to go some other time.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Be polite but firm, like I understand you may be upset but I am NOT in the mood to put up with ANYONES garbage
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• ignore it..shes only doing it to manipulate you into doing what SHE wants. Thats probably how she got her parents to do stuff for her as a child. Seriously just keep doing what your doing and set up boundaries.. if she doesn't respect it then ignore her.. she should get the picture. You are a grown woman you can do what you want to do.
    Anonymous

• First of all nobody respects anyone who kisses their bottom. Be yourself and dont let her manipulate you. Go if you want and if you don't tell her the truth. Stand up for yourself and she will respect you more and not treat you that way.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Ask her that you noticed she was a little cold to you and if she had a problem. If she wants to have an argument then hang up. Don't stoop to her childish behavior. You did nothing wrong by staying home. You are an adult. It's not like you didn't goto her birthday party for goodness sakes. The sooner you set boundries and not put up with petty behavior the better.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2009