Is this true?

I was reading in my pregnancy book, that when they test for down syndrome, if it comes back positive, that some parents choose to terminate the pregnancy. Is that really an option they give you. I have a hard time thinking i would be able to do that. Although i guess you never really know unless you are in that situation. Anyways if that is an option they give you, what would many of you choose to do? I don't really know what category this should go in, and this is not meant to start a fighting debate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes it is true! Yes, if you receive a positive test result, then you will be given counseling to weigh your options. Personally, I wouldn't abort a child with Down's syndrome...they can be high functioning and be productive members of society...but they may be limited as to how far they can go in life.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yea it is true...and sick....that is just so worng.... disabiltiy or not, that is my child and i would love it...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes it's true.If I was told during my pregnancies that any of my children would be born with downs I would of still had my child.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes, it's true. My youngest tested for DS and I went to see a genetic counselor and had an amnio done to verify if she had it or not. The hospital just wanted t give me all the options and let me know what having a child with DS would be like. Thankfully she didn't have it. The triple test sucks and gives back A LOT of false positives so I don't know why they still give it.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I should have added that SOME women or couples that DO decide to abort upon hearing the news that their child MIGHT have a permanent disability (remember many of these tests come back as FALSE-POSITIVES), because they (selfishly, IMO) want a "perfect" child, and cannot "deal" with a child that is not perfect.

Considering what goes on (the process) during fetal development, I'm surprised that any child comes out "normal" (whatever that is!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yes its true and it is that mothers decision. don't judge them
    Anonymous

• Yes it is true. I want to also add that the down syndrome tests can also give false positives. This happened to a friend of mine and her child does not have any special neeeds. Thank God she did not abort, she would have killed a healthy baby!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's true, and I would never consider it because they can still be functioning members of society. But consider this: They also test for many other problems, such as cystic fibrosis... if a person is born with cystic fibrosis, they live much shorter lives, most likely have to deal with organ transplants from a very early age, and their quality of life is not the best (usually anyway). However, many people that suffer from this can (and have) lived well into their 30's. My doc asked me if I wanted to be tested for it... he said if we wanted to have the test done, that he only recommends it if you plan on terminating (although I had it for my first and there is no chance of us having a child with it since we are not carriers). Would you terminate a pregnancy if that was the case? If you KNEW that your child would live a life having to suffer only to die much younger than most people? THAT's a thinker!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's not an "option they give you"... it's an option you have all along. That's why many doctor's have a counseling session for the patient BEFORE the test and why some doctors actually discourage any tests (mine did). Once you have the test results, you can decide what to do with the knowledge:
    You can abort (just like you could from day 1)
    You can find a support group and start getting help dealing with the impending problems
    You can go keep hoping that the test was wrong
    You can relax with the good news
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yes it's true. I've never been in that situation- but I think I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2009