I have 2 Questions......

1. Is how do I get my 18 mo old daughter to go in the potty?
Because when I set her down to go she just thinks its funny and wants to play.

2. How do I get her to sleep at night and stay asleep?
Lately she hasn't been going to sleep til midnight and I have to get up at 6 to bring her to daycare and I gotta be at work by eight. Oh and sometimes she'll wake up in the middle of the night.

Native_Mommy253

Asked by Native_Mommy253 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think its too early to potty train,.my dd is almost 22 months and she isnt potty trained yet because she isnt ready.shes getting there though.i think if your dd is ready you'll know and she wont think the pottty is play time.

and the bedtime..do you have a routine?i say get a great routine down and put her down to sleep when she isnt over tired.being she goes to bed around midnight and gets up at 6am im sure shes overtired,.and that would mean she'll wake up multiple times.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I agree word for word with what naturepeace wrote. I dont really have anything to add. Good luck though! What makes you think she is ready to potty train at this age? My son is almost 17 months and FAR from being ready. Some are ready early, though!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Yep.
    She sounds like she isn't ready to potty train. It's not age based. It's readiness based. Since she isn't interested, she isn't ready. Short of forcing her to sit there until she finally goes there isn't much you can do. And forcing her won't work.
    An overtired toddler will have a harder time falling asleep and staying asleep. She sounds like she must be exhausted. That means she literally CAN'T sleep until she crashes. Not healthy for either of you. A good bedtime routine is a good first step. She needs 12 to 15 hours a day. If she takes one 2 hour nap, that means she needs 10 to 13 hours at night. If you have to get her up by 6am, then she needs to be in bed no later than 6:30pm. Take her dinner with you, have her eat it in the car. Pop her in the bath and get her into bed. Yes, you won't get to play with her. So what? She'll get the sleep her growing brain needs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well the thing is that she keeps taking her diapers off and she tries but then she loses her consentration and stops.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Well said naturpeace. I would add check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

It's normal at her age to try to take/take the diaper off. Try using duct tape or putting a sleeper on backward to keep the diaper on.

I see nothing wrong with letting her sit on the potty if she wants too but don't force her and don't expect her to be trained until she's ready. Bath time is a great time to let her try the potty because she's already naked. If she wants to sit, great, if not, that's ok too.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I'll have to agree with the above its probably too early to potty train but nothing wrong with letting her try. My son is 15 months old and he's been waking up every night since he was about 10 months old. Dont know why beings up untill then I had no problems with him sleeping. Now I have every sleep problem you can think of. We're just trying to work through it. I have to stay patient. You have to try and get her to sleep earlier though and routines do work. Just watch her and wait to see when she shows signs of being tired even if its over a few nights just watching to see when she gets tired. And then you can start doing routines 30 mintues before bedtime or an hour or whatever. Good luck. Just remember it wont last forever.
    Anonymous