what do i do as a step mom with a 5 year old who doesn't want to eat food

my 5 year old step son doesn't like anything but junk food. He refuses to eat meat noodles and i am tired of him onky eating cereal, cookies and chips. I need alittle help, with ideas on how to get him to eat other food that is healthy for him without him crying and throwing a fit and then makes himself throw up.

4gab11alex14bin

Asked by 4gab11alex14bin at 2:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• ouch thats tuff! DONT GIVE HIM COOKIES AND SWEETS ANYMORE Or just tell him he cant have them unless he eats good food!>> He will get hungry enough and he will eat..
    Anonymous

• Have you tried making him foods that appear to be unhealthy but in all actuality the ingredients are very healthy for him? There are quite a few books out right now with recipes just for this issue. I actually just purchased a book called 365 Foods Kids Love To Eat and some of them are off the wall but heck whatever works. :)

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had a horrible time with my dd too with junk food, but this year in school they've been pushing healthy eating, healthy habits and it's almost to the point of driving me crazy that I feel guilty now for drinking anything but milk and water, chips aren't good for me... and before we eat anything she'll ask me if it's healthy food.
    For your problem, stop buying the junk food or only allow it for special treats/occassions. We started buying lots of fruit and cheese, apple sauce etc for our daughters snacks. We got in to the "Land Before Time" movie series really hard and our kids absolutely loved raw spinach when we told them it was tree stars and we've incorporated other things in their diet that came from movies they love (in the movie Rainy Day Out they make vegetable soup with animal crackers and our daughters are eating those veggies now and loving it) Gotta think like a kid to learn how to trick them
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Stop giving in and giving the child the junk. Eventually, he will get hungry and eat. Or tell him he can have the cookies but only after he eats 5 bites of each thing on his plate or something like that. My son is a great eater but my niece is just like your step son. In my house, she eats the same thing we eat or she doesn't eat. She eventually sees the other kids getting their dessert because they ate their food and she will eat her healthy food as well. The child won't starve, just stop offering the other stuff. Don't even buy it!
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I second DDry!

My family never fixed separate things for separate people. You ate what was in front of you, or you didn't eat. And if you didn't eat anything by the time Dad was done with his plate, you sat there until you ate everything.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If you keep trying to accomodate him he's just going to keep trying to manipulate you... I would offer him something to drink, tell him these are the rules and everyone else has to live by them... That they eat what you make period. If he doesn't like it he can go without.. Sorry I know it may seem harsh but if you don't show him who's boss then he's just going use it against you..
    Anonymous

• Lead by example... Get alternative snacks for him to eat...But don't force it right away...gradually introduce the different types of food to him..but first and foremost you must get rid of the unhealthy foods in your home...good luck
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 4:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Try a little trickery...make homemade "popsicles" out of frozen fruit juice, get the 100 calorie pack cookies for when he wants cookies (or the sugar free kind make for diabetics), get crackers like goldfish or veggie chips, and see if you can get him to eat dried fruits (which don't look like fruit so maybe he'll think they are candy). Also, lots of treats can be nutricious; like popcorn, nut mixes or trail mixes and substitute sugar with a sweetner in a recipe. As for meat..well, some kids just wont eat it a lot....you can puree lots of veggies and "hide" them in recipes as well. you can also give him juices that have both veggie and fruits (like V8 fusions) or mix juices with a bit of sparkling water/ginger ale/sprite to make it seem like soda pop. Or you can always buy the caffeine free/diet/0 calorie soda pop too. Since hes 5, maybe take him shopping with you and see if he can help you pick out healthy things to eat!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Its probably less about the food and more about control on his part. Try this. Get a bunch of fun cookbooks towards kids interest my website has some fun ones www.ubah.com/u2688 I like 30 Healthy Things to Cook and Eat, we've got all of them though! www.borders.com has a fun one too thats a Ratatouille one that we bought. Pick out recipes together and make a fun "menu" of stuff that he's willing to try. Just make pictures of the foods and paste them on construction paper and let him pick what he wants. Easy stuff is fine. Then make a big production of going to the grocery store, shopping together for the ingredients and cooking the meal together. Tell him he just has to try at least one bite of each thing you make. If he truly hates it fine but there are going to be a lot of things he does like! If you make it fun he'll lose the bad habits quickly! Also, make it a rule to not have the junk food around! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2009