feeling regret and guilt for letting him go???

so we took Jack out to the Animal Shelter and they have a fantastic adoption program. Sat. he is already going out to be adopted. Anyways I feel sad upset and angry with mysself we couldnt keep him. I posted about it (that he is a nipper) and on top of that I think he needs a yard to run. We have a yard but nothing to big.
Today we went to go see him and he looked great. They take great careof him. They brush him and he has a huge bowl of water and food. Tho he got filled up on bones the 1st day and didnt eat much the 2nd day. We took him a double hamburger from McDonalds. At first he didnt seem interested but was more excited to see us. I def. had to fight back tears. He was eating his burger as I left.
Can somone please give me some encourage words or advice????

alinzasmommy

Asked by alinzasmommy at 2:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2009 in Pets

• i had to give away my puppy i got for christmas.he's a boton terrier and i loved him!but he just would not potty train,.and i was trying to potty train my dd as wel as care for another grown dog and our cat.he would go on the furniture and anywhere really.and i couldnt give him all the attention a puppy deserved because it was all going to my baby.and i knew that he deserved better and he needed a more loving home for HIM.
    he has a great family that can give him the attention he needs.at first i was sad but thats what i tel myself.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Oh dear. At least you know that he has a good home. He was part of your family, your pack, that is why you feel so badly. Go ahead and miss him. Every time you feel sad and miss him, also consider that he is happy and being well-cared for. You did what you could for him, so you don't need to feel even a bit guilty. You did very well.

Answer by Bmat at 2:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• i felt regret letting jack go to but at the time i had too cause of a fine we were facing. i heard he was placed with a new family and i hope they gave him a good home. he was the greatest dog ever. i still miss him but i had no real choice. he nipped too but i could of trained that. i just wasn't able to train him not to bark endlessly.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• It's normal to feel guilty right now, just remember that he'll adjust and be happy with a family that treats him well and probably more room to run around and act nutty. If you need to cry because you miss him, there is no shame in that! At least you were able to see for yourself he's being treated well. Some people leave their unwanted animals out in the woods, and you brought him to a place that lets him have McDonald's! It sure sounds like you've done the best you could do for him.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I had a poodle I had to give away and totally regretted it for months. I would cry every night because I gave her away. The family I gave it to seemed like a good idea, until they got a divorce and everything went downhill and Gigi was caught in the middle of it. Through a series of events, she ended up with a litttle grandma and I am sooo glad she did. That is exactly where my dog needed to be. I don't feel bad anymore because I know she is a lot happier than I could make her and is where she needs to be. Taking care of that grandma. It makes me happy to think of that.

You have done the best for your doggy too. It is heartbreaking at first, but just remember, you did the best thing for that pup and they are living the life they need to be. Just keep your chin up. It will get better.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• aw *hugs* it sounds like he is happy. I know its very hard.. just try not to worry about him. I need to find my dog a new home (black lab mix) we have had her for about 4 years.. she is the sweetest dog but having a black lab living in the house (except to go out to potty or for walks) is very hard!! She takes up a lot of room, the house smells like dog, she dosent get the excercise she needs and my son is almost 7 months old and loves crawling.. only problem is even if I vacumme a few times a day he still gets mouth fulls of hair because of the dog.. its hard but finding her a new home where she can run will be better for her in the long run.
    Anonymous